KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

Running in question

9K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  MajorSoftie 
#1 · (Edited)
My Duke 390 currently has only 300 miles from new.
The first 130 miles were partially motorway/freeway (constant speed) as l had to ride it home from the dealer.
Not ideal, but it wasn’t safe to go much slower than the maximum running in speed of around 60mph
As soon as possible l left the motorway and travelled across country so was able to vary the engine speed and loading.
After that l have done a further 170 miles of varied riding.
However l need to make another motorway trip of 200 miles....will this harm the engine? I can’t really vary the speed much as 55-60mph is pretty slow to be riding on this type of road. I could possibly vary it from 50-70mph and ignore the 6,000 rpm limit.
The bike has not yet had the first service/inspection

Or l could go in the car! But it’s forecast really nice weather so it would be a shame to do that.

#5 ·
Lightning, you are right to be concerned.
Leave early and take the back roads or if you must take the highway, take your car.
This is too important of a time to put 400 kms on the wrong way.

I noticed break-in produced increasing power and fuel mileage well over 3000 kms.
I'd suggest using a fair amount of throttle (3/4?) for short time periods, revs under 6500, varied speeds.

#7 ·
Always gets a smile when I take a running in bike back to dealership after they see my throttle . Something I was taught many years ago , using tippex or similar mark on twistgrip 1/4 1/2 3/4 throttle opening forget rev counter . First 250 miles 1/4 throttle max next 250 1/2 throttle up to 750 miles 3/4 throttle this has worked exceptionally well for me for the past 50 years . Modern bikes probably don't need such gentle running in .

#16 ·
I know of zero engine builders who think this. There are engine builders who suggest this is a good way to break in new rings in an already broken in motor - especially in a race engine where you need it to quickly be competitive again. No one can reasonably argue that this is a good way to break in bearings.
I'm not sure which bearings you're referring to specifically but here is no break in period for bearings. That's why bearing clearances are measured before hand...so they ride on a film of oil.

And engines coming out of a production facility are run up to redline before they leave the factory...

#18 ·
I'm not sure which bearings you're referring to specifically but here is no break in period for bearings. That's why bearing clearances are measured before hand...so they ride on a film of oil.

And engines coming out of a production facility are run up to redline before they leave the factory...
To your second point, do they do that under load, or is your comment not related to the topic?

To your first point, others disagree.

"There are two important considerations to breaking in a new streetbike. One is that all the various bearings and other internals with mating surfaces need sufficient low-load and low-rpm running time to bed in. High spots on bearing surfaces and other machining imperfections can cause increased friction and excess heat until this happens, so some period of light duty is required."

https://www.cycleworld.com/sport-rider/break-in-procedure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.