KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I use my 390 for a commute most days in Auckland traffic. About 25km each way, mostly on SH1 in peak traffic from the North Shore to Mt Wellington, so a lot of filtering between queues of cars at 40-50 kmh. My bike generally runs at 2 bars under the 3rd (ie over temp) part of the temp gauge. Often up to 1 bar under by the time I get home and the fan has kicked in. Is this about the same for you guys ? Fluids are all good and topped up so should be no dramas there. I'd read about the high temp on various forums before I got my bike and there seemed to be some talk in India of a dealer mod to change the fan ??? Does that ring any bells or has anyone asked their dealer about it ?
Interested in your thoughts please
Cheers - Rob

·
Registered
817 Posts
Mine hovers around the same mate, all of them do. The PowerTRONIC lowers the thermo limit so the fan comes on much earlier which drops the temp level but other than that there isnt a fix yet. It would be interesting to talk with the dealer and ask if they can reset the cut in and max temp limits.
The topic your refering to related to the way the orignal fan was set up, it had something to do with fan flow and direction but was only a problem with the very first ones built for country exposure/tests/approvals.

·
Registered
573 Posts
mine are about at 9 and 10 bar on normal afternoon ride and if throttle aggressively and stop, it will hit 11 bar. After using Engine Ice coolant, it has reduce significantly to 8bar for normal ride and 9bar for aggressive riding. My ambience temperature range from 30 to 37*Celcious

·
Registered
83 Posts
mine are about at 9 and 10 bar on normal afternoon ride and if throttle aggressively and stop, it will hit 11 bar. After using Engine Ice coolant, it has reduce significantly to 8bar for normal ride and 9bar for aggressive riding. My ambience temperature range from 30 to 37*Celcious
So based on experience...should i go with engine ice too??...we have similar temp.climate here in the Philippines.

Engine Ice works?

·
Registered
573 Posts
YES it works ... never do i see 9 bar ... even on a hot 36*C day ... it just top at 8bar with additional aggressive riding

So based on experience...should i go with engine ice too??...we have similar temp.climate here in the Philippines.

Engine Ice works?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thats great to know Phil! Many here in India face blown gasket issue due to excessive heating on long term.

I might try to change to Engine Ice too, but I guess the old coolant should be completely drained out right? The process is elaborate if I remember correctly. (Using water, vinegar etc)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thats great to know Phil! Many here in India face blown gasket issue due to excessive heating on long term.

I might try to change to Engine Ice too, but I guess the old coolant should be completely drained out right? The process is elaborate if I remember correctly. (Using water, vinegar etc)
Vinegar? I wouldn't do that. Just flush with clean water until no more traces of green come out.

·
Registered
817 Posts
AOD's got you covered.
I had a look at Motul Dusty but price comparison had the CycleLogic Engine Ice way in front for $ and package size. Weirdly I just picked up mine from the post office. $29.95, bargain!
Will report back once I change it out, probably tonight cause its an excuse to fool around with it :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
AOD's got you covered.
I had a look at Motul Dusty but price comparison had the CycleLogic Engine Ice way in front for $ and package size. Weirdly I just picked up mine from the post office. $29.95, bargain!
Will report back once I change it out, probably tonight cause its an excuse to fool around with it :D

That's almost the exact price I paid in Singapore for 2L.

·
Registered
18 Posts
High Temp solution in India !!

Hi all.
I use my 390 for a commute most days in Auckland traffic. About 25km each way, mostly on SH1 in peak traffic from the North Shore to Mt Wellington, so a lot of filtering between queues of cars at 40-50 kmh. My bike generally runs at 2 bars under the 3rd (ie over temp) part of the temp gauge. Often up to 1 bar under by the time I get home and the fan has kicked in. Is this about the same for you guys ? Fluids are all good and topped up so should be no dramas there. I'd read about the high temp on various forums before I got my bike and there seemed to be some talk in India of a dealer mod to change the fan ??? Does that ring any bells or has anyone asked their dealer about it ?
Interested in your thoughts please
Cheers - Rob
Hi Dan,
I just booked my D390 after studying a lots of reviews and videos.
Yes, there has been change in Radiator Fans, atleast in India, for the new bikes that are coming in.
The Radiator motor program has been modified to kick in sooner.... And that's not all . . . at stand still and speeds below 20, radiator fan actually throws air away from rider - to the front and at high speeds, it will throw air towards the rider - normal.
Previous setup to kick in the radiator at 125C now its around 85C.

I shall re confirm once I get my bike with me.

happy riding !! Cheers !!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi Dan,
I just booked my D390 after studying a lots of reviews and videos.
Yes, there has been change in Radiator Fans, atleast in India, for the new bikes that are coming in.
The Radiator motor program has been modified to kick in sooner.... And that's not all . . . at stand still and speeds below 20, radiator fan actually throws air away from rider - to the front and at high speeds, it will throw air towards the rider - normal.
Previous setup to kick in the radiator at 125C now its around 85C.

I shall re confirm once I get my bike with me.

happy riding !! Cheers !!
I think there's some incorrect info in the above but it's possible the Indian ECU is different to the export one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts