KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to sent the stock seat and pillion to Sargent for a custom build.
IMHO, this would be an ideal contour for the driver (ignore the pillion)

Sargent Seat - BMW R nineT

I'd like to get the rear of the driver seat as wide as the stock pan will allow (probably won't be as wide as the BMW pictured, but that's the direction I'd like to go. ) Side support increased with thicker foam there, dished somewhat side to side to take pressure off the perineum/prostate area for more even comfort and support over all.

Pillion: more rearward slope on the front edge, effectively moving the butt-stop backward a bit for more room for the driver. Duplicate the mild center hump of the Ergo pillion, but make the seat wider, out to the grab handles (Hepco-Becker tail rack bars in my case), again dished somewhat for as much side support as possible.

Turn-around's supposed to be 2-3 weeks. Stay tuned.

If this build works well, I'll suggest Sargent save it as a standard build for the 390 Duke.

Hey, somebody's gotta be the guinea pig...;)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Yes, Yes John!! That would be perfect. I really need to get rid of the absurd point on the front of the pillion seat that pokes me constantly in the coccyx. Seriously need more fore-and-aft room for the rider, forget about a pillion.

Are you sending them your stock seat pan?

I will be watching the results of this initiative carefully......

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. Sending the stock seat and pillion for them to work their magic (I hope.) I think the pans are identical for the stockers and the Ergos. (?)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have Ergo's on the pilot and pax seat. I would happily send the OEM seats to them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Seat is ready to ship to Sargent. I wrote some general instructions on the seat for locations of adjustment. Then I'll talk with someone on the phone to clarify what I want done.

When doing this remotely, you need to be quite specific on what you want done where. On the driver seat, I'm going for a slightly narrower neck just behind the tank, but adding as much width at the rear of the seat as Sargent foam choices will allow. Also adding height on the sides with a dish from side to side to take pressure off the shaded points as much as possible by adding lateral support.

On the pillion, going for maximum width between the Hepco-Becker tail rack rails, with added height overall, and slight side to side dish. Also dishing out the nose of the pillion, which passenger doesn't use, allowing driver to scoot back a bit.

Another necessary piece of data for the builder is to mark "Level" on both seats as a reference for them to use. Seats are almost always sloped upward to the rear to keep your butt glued in place during acceleration, but builder needs to know what "level" is so they know how much slope to include.

Hopefully, these notes on the seats plus a detailed conversation with the tech on the phone will yield a big improvement in rideability!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm taking my OEM seats to a guy whose main business is motorcycle seats. He's redone a few for me (just re-covers). He put the headliner in my Piper Cherokee when I was redoing the interior a few years ago. He's an artist with this stuff. I'm going to go to his shop in the morning, and we'll work out what I'm after. I'll bring my Ergo seats with, so I can ride home.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I look forward to seeing your seat mod, Tony!

Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking about improving the Duke's seating accommodations. You and John are pathfinders - I'm sure many owners will be interested.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sargent received my seats a couple weeks ago, but I haven't spoken with the tech yet. They're waiting for mine to trickle up to the top of the "to-do" list before they make contact.

Busy time of year for saddle makers, for sure!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the call from the tech today, discussing the fine points of the build. I told them that this was being watched by the forum and that if things turn out well it could result in a flood of orders for them. (can't hurt, right?) He said if it goes well and is well liked, he'll talk to the head honchos to possibly add it as a standard build.

As suspected, the pan size, especially for the pillion, limits how much width can be added without losing support, since Sargent doesn't offer wing supports added to the pan like Russel, Bill Mayer, etc, and I knew that going in. I told them to do the best they can given the design constraints.

Shouldn't be too long now. Once the designer signs off on the mods, they give it to the guys who build the seat. I'll give a report when I receive the seat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts