KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s a new vehicle and the battery is also fresh but I’m having issues self starting. I’m just loosing battery voltage while the bike is stationary.
The voltage reading I get is 11.8 - 12V (which is low to self start this vehicle).
i don’t know why the voltage is low.
Can anyone tell me what the cause of low voltage? Remember the vehicl is new.
👆 I have attached the link of the video depicting exactly what is happening with the bike.
12BF68ED-FBE4-437F-BEE8-F0A65AFEFFC3.png

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Either have an electrics checked out by a knowledgable bike electrician or put a master switch on the battery negative.
There is no way anyone can tell over the forum what your issue is.
Have you tried another battery?
Did the other battery also loose power when parked?
Do you use an alarm/immobiliser?
Too many variables.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Take it back to the dealer. Some new bikes have manufacturing issues. They can test to determine the fault especially if it’s stock or has accessories that they fitted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No
Either have an electrics checked out by a knowledgable bike electrician or put a master switch on the battery negative.
There is no way anyone can tell over the forum what your issue is.
Have you tried another battery?
Did the other battery also loose power when parked?
Do you use an alarm/immobiliser?
Too many variables.
No, I don’t have any additional accessories attached
and I have not yet tried another battery, it’s in the service station
what I believe is that the battery isn’t getting charged properly or there is standing current leakage Or both.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take it back to the dealer. Some new bikes have manufacturing issues. They can test to determine the fault especially if it’s stock or has accessories that they fitted.
Yes, I have already taken it to the dealer and they are having a look but I don’t believe they can do much. I need to find a good motorcycle electrician.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If the dealer can’t find the issue, find a better dealer if you want to protect your warranty. As mentioned before there are too many variables to diagnose with the very limited information you’ve given.

Start with - what is a fresh battery?

·
Registered
141 Posts
In the still picture, it is obvious, it is not charging at all... but of course, why? Look at the picture -- the bike is idling at about 1400 rpm, and the alternator output ^should be* around 14.1-14.2... but it is 11.9v.
Also, the battery has gotten so weak that the electronic cluster completely winks-out, whenever he attempts to crank it -- see the hashes across the screen.
If I was a betting man, I'd say make sure all your grounds, fuses and connections are intact... but then start focusing on the possibility that the voltage regulator is the main culprit. The VR is that black, finned, non-serviceable, rectangular aluminum part mounted under the center of your rear footpeg bracket.
As far as the fuses go, there should be a sticker on the underside of your drivers seat that tells you which fuse services what. Take a picture of that with your phone in case it ever comes un-stuck and falls off. But for quick reference, the 30A fuse is the one that passes current from the VR back to the battery, to recharge it.
Maybe something is just unplugged or not making good connection, also... because like you said, it's a brand new bike, right? Happy hunting. Oh, and Let us all know what came of your dealer adventures(?).

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s a new vehicle and the battery is also fresh but I’m having issues self starting. I’m just loosing battery voltage while the bike is stationary.
The voltage reading I get is 11.8 - 12V (which is low to self start this vehicle).
i don’t know why the voltage is low.
Can anyone tell me what the cause of low voltage? Remember the vehicl is new.
👆 I have attached the link of the video depicting exactly what is happening with the bike.
View attachment 51749
I have got the same issue a day back. Just take it to service and recharge the battery once and will work fine.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You've got about 1200km on the clock, how long have you had the bike? My OEM battery died at about 1.5 years, way shorter than most last. I think KTM's factory batteries suck.

You could have a real problem, but before you eliminate it, you might want to have the battery tested to see how it's doing. Not sure about where you live, but around here, most auto parts stores will test them for free.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My OEM battery died at about 1.5 years, way shorter than most last. I think KTM's factory batteries suck.
We just had a Suzuki battery die at the same age so it’s not just KTM. In our case I suspect three months of only very short journeys under lockdown may have been the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts