KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

shock oil

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  markpony 
#1 · (Edited)
Just hit 750 miles, the front shocks seem to soft to me. Will a higher grade shock oil give me more of a stiffer shock feel? Has anyone changed to thicker shock oil with good results? Does anyone know what stock front oil weight is? Recommended upgrade?:confused:

#4 ·
I replaced with 5 weight. There are more threads on this topic on the rc390-forum.com where folks have traditionally spent more time tuning their suspension.

It's common to go 10wt or even higher, depends on what you're looking for. I'd say if your forks feel soft, you may need to swap out your springs or add additional preload at the very least.

Have you measured sag? How much do you weigh?

Reactions: A Peter 390
#3 ·
My manual says fork oil is 4wt. I replaced the stock oil with Redline Suspension Fluid (mixed to 4wt). After all the trouble of mixing it, the fork felt the same as stock. I then drained it again and put in 7.5wt Redline, which gave much more front end feel, for the roads I ride on. I will definately run 7.5 next time I change fluid. Redline fluid is good, because it comes in 2.5,5,10,and 30wt, so you can mix any wt you can calculate. I used a bottle of 10wt, a bottle of 5wt, mixed 50/50 to give 7.5. This gave plenty fluid to put about 430ml in each fork (5mm below fork tube at full compression).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.