KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Duke 390. Surprising huh…..
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after 6 (?) or so years without a bike in the garage; I’ve today agreed to purchase this 2018 model with 2590 miles on the clock; **(Are these decals aftermarket or ????)
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

I’m an Engineer by trade, a complete petrol-head and a serial ‘modder’. So there’s little doubt this one will turn out any differently……

The supplying dealer is going to do a full service for me inc oil and filter, air filter, spark plug and valve clearances. This and the fact it’s 400 miles from me - means it will be a couple of weeks until it’s delivered and in my hands.

Great ! Gives me time to ‘get ready’ and buy a few bits. The bike already has a tail tidy and Scorpion exhaust. And in readiness for its arrival I’ve bought:

C-Tek trickle charger.
De-cat pipe.
Tank Pad / Protector.
K+N Air filter.
Open Airbox lid.
Boosterplug.
Front and Rear paddock stands.
Rear / Swing-arm Bobbins.
Dash screen protector.
Hand-guards.
Number plate and rear reflector
etc etc
Sleeve Font T-shirt Advertising Brand

I’ve also tidied up an area of the ‘man cave’ in readiness….
Photograph Brickwork Brick Yellow Road surface

REALLY looking forward to getting out in the fresh air riding again - and also making the bike ‘mine’. I’ve not so much as even seen one of these in the flesh: let alone sat on or had a ride on one. I’ve just dived in on the back of the numerous great reviews online……..😎

Will keep this updated as I go.

Cheers.

Costs as of 17/02/2022:

Booster Plug £130
Swingarm Bobbins £10
Valve Caps £2
Open Airbox Lid £40.00
K&N Airfilter £48
Screen Cover £10.00
Rear Reflector £2
Registration Plate £10
Renthal Grips £10
PowerParts Handguards £72
C-Tek Battery Harness £7
Front + Rear EBC HH pads £40
Radiator Cover £33
Carbon Fibre Fender Extender £22
Various Decals £12
D.I.D Gold VX3 X-Ring Chain £66
Engine Case Covers £24
Brake Reservoir Sock £6
Oil Filler Cap £19
D.I.D Gold Split Link £6
Various S/Steel fixings £15
PowerParts ‘Race’ Fuel Cap £130
Powder coating Parts £30,00

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Sleeve Font T-shirt Advertising Brand

Photograph Building Wood Architecture Flooring

Photograph Brickwork Brick Yellow Road surface

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good. I’m going to suggest that a boosterplug is going to struggle to cope with your proposed mods. I’d recommend a full piggyback instead.
Cheers for your thoughts. Are you running / have you run either or both ?

Do these really run that lean as standard; or with a few breathing mods then (In my case Exhaust end can; and filter with Airbox top) ?

***I may well not go with the de-cat for the time being. Or ever infact. I am concerned with the noise levels; and attracting unwanted attention.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I run all of the performance mods you’ve listed. Air filter isn’t going to add anything over the airbox lid until you make further mods and even then won’t add a lot.

Decat and presilencer delete is too noisy for most especially if you remove the baffle, plus you can lose a bit of mid range. I run just the decat with a modified baffle. For piggyback I run a RapidBike Evo because I have no interest in plugging a laptop into the bike every time I change the configuration. Grey Area KTM who were involved in the racing scene and have done the testing are happy that the Evo works just fine even with their modified airbox which needs a bigger injector.

And yes, like many modern bikes, especially those designed in Europe run that lean as stock.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thankyou very much @Mirius for that knowledge ! I’m pondering which way to go…..👍

Meanwhile: these wet and miserable evenings; with little to do apart from flick up eBay - means the Postman is kept busy. This week I’ve added to the pile of bits to be fitted by way of:

Oxford ‘Protex’ indoor cover.
Couple of choices of tank pads.
EBC HH pads Front and Rear. ***Read this is a decent / “needed” upgrade (?)
And a couple of other small bits…..

Bike was serviced and had brand new mirrors fitted today:
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

And the courier is now being rung tomorrow ref delivery to me….

Getting close now !!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Gen 1 bikes ‘needed’ pad upgrade as I understand it. Always worthwhile filtering advice by which model is being discussed. My gen 2 had Brembo sintered pads on the front and sintered in the rear. Never needed an upgrade to the pads.

But brake pads are like tyres. Everyone disagrees and everyone is passionate about why they are right. I just use what fits and never had an issue.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gen 1 bikes ‘needed’ pad upgrade as I understand it. Always worthwhile filtering advice by which model is being discussed. My gen 2 had Brembo sintered pads on the front and sintered in the rear. Never needed an upgrade to the pads.

But brake pads are like tyres. Everyone disagrees and everyone is passionate about why they are right. I just use what fits and never had an issue.
Ha ! Rumbled…..

To be fair: I’ve had a reasonable amount of experience with the EBC’s (Mostly green laning, off-road on various KTM EXCF’s) and ‘loved’ them. And at only £40 for both sets - it’s not life changing.

I also find it unlikely whatever is in the callipers currently is ‘better’.So I’ll be happy to fit them and see how they fare…..

BUT: Wise advice given about taking reference of which Gen is being talked about noted and understood ! **Thanks 😎

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Radiator guard would be a good thing to fit, plus a front mudguard extender, as all the crap gets flung off the front tyre on to the radiator.
Good shout !

I’ve never owned a Naked; and also didn’t know the front fender being on the short side / the wheel kicked up a lot of road rubbish with these. And would want to protect the rad / frame / front underside all I can…..

So both items now purchased. Thanks again for the great info 👊

***Do you ‘guys’ rivet the front fender extender on; or use something like Sikaflex, Tiger Seal, CA Chem adhesive / sealer etc - [Often used by car guys for bonding body kit parts / spoilers etc I think…..]

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And so it begins. Took delivery today 😎

Started fitting some the upgraded parts tonight, connected up the C-Tek battery tender - and stripped a few bits off to be re-powder coated in slightly different colours this week: to break up the monotony of ‘Black’…...
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
859 Posts
l stuck my first fender extender on, and it seemed very secure.
However one day l noticed it was missing, clearly not as secure as it looked

l bought another and used the plastic rivets this time. Take the front mudguard off to do it, it's much easier.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
l stuck my first fender extender on, and it seemed very secure.
However one day l noticed it was missing, clearly not as secure as it looked

l bought another and used the plastic rivets this time. Take the front mudguard off to do it, it's much easier.
Cheers.

Yea: I intended to take the fender off, sand / key the underside of the original fender, the topside of the overlapping part of the extension, Tiger seal together - and hold in place with some soft-jawed clamps. If that fails I’ll be giving up 🤣

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Time……is something I don’t have a lot of right now. But I did found a couple of hours last night to start working on the new steed……

Screen protector and Swingarm Bobbins fitted. **Screen did have alot of micro scratching on. ***Came up an absolute treat with some Novus Acrylic scratch remover I had to hand - if anyone else is thinking up doing the same (I used number 2 followed by number 1:

C-Tek charging harness is now on and connected - as I won’t riding it until the weather has improved hugely ! I routed and left the connecting plug outside the bike, tucked away - but easily accessible for simple connection without removing pillion seat etc.

And I’ve now fitted both the new free flowing air filter and open Airbox lid. As with everything I will be doing - I took the opportunity to have a good clean up as I went along. All fixings / fastenings I could: were swapped over to Stainless Steel - and a light coat of aluminium based grease used on the threads to stop any Bi-Metallic corrosion.

Filter and Charger Harness:
Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Auto part Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

And with open Airbox lid:
Hood Motor vehicle Sports gear Automotive design Sports equipment

Bring on the weekend and a load more ‘fettling and fitting’ 😎

Have a good one all…..

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mainly spent the afternoon with a selection of new Stainless Steel fixings, a pot of grease - and the radio on :cool:

Firstly the fixings / fastenings in Stainless Steel look so much nicer than standard. And will remain that way come rain, salt, washing blah blah ! And it gives me a chance to check the bike over, lube-up and re-torque everything to where it should be......

Started off with a few random but visible bits and pieces bolt-wise. Just a case of working through methodically:

Bottle Wine Product Fluid Font

Cockpit, hand-guards, switch-gear etc all now swapped to Stainless Steel fixings too:

Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Carbon Vehicle brake

:
Finished off with some Stainless Flange-nuts on the rear sprocket. And now the Postman has arrived - i can get the new added bling ;) Gold Chain fitted tomorrow.....

Wheel Crankset Bicycle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Breakfast or Brake-pads" was this Mornings early decision..................**Some things are just more important :ROFLMAO:

Upon removing the pads; the fronts were stamped Brembo and look to be sintered. The Rears......not sure. Either way i now have decent, new, HH Sintered pads all around.

Old pads out:

World Organism Font Poster Adaptation

And after pushing out the pistons, having a good clean up inside, lubricating and installing new pads...the rears:

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive design

And Fronts:

Sports equipment Helmet Sports gear Outdoor shoe Roller sport

:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts