KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
Duke 390. Surprising huh…..
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Kinda wished I didn't see the pictures. Now I'm stuck on pro bolt filling a cart with black titanium torx. Natural titanium is a close 2nd for me. Looks great.
LMAO

Yea,Yea - I know right. Easy to ‘get lost’ isn’t it !

I’ve bought a few bits for the Duke from Pro-Bolt already (Great products, slick delivery / tracking; and excellent customer service…….you do pay for that to a degree though imo); so I’m aware of their range of products.. It was the funky cross-drilled flange heads, half tapered cap-heads, drilled washers, short semi domed cap-heads etc etc at RaceFasteners that got my attention; and seem unique to the Ti-crafted offerings.

I never realised a ‘simple’ bolt / fixing could be so erotic 🤣🤣

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Looking good. How are you finding the mirrors?
I have bar end mirrors at the moment they are great but I want something different
Cheers. Bike is epic. Especially now I’ve gotten rid of all the Factory quibbles / foibles. Whilst making it mine….😎

Going forward: I’d like Super Sticky rubber for next season. And Wavy discs; just because. I also intend to buy a Winter-hack real soon. So I can still be on 2-wheels on nice Winter days. Whilst saving the Duke from the salty roads blah blah….

**Mirrors: I used to do a fair bit of green-laning. And always used similar mirrors back then.

BUT: there’s a World of difference between using them to check if you’ve left your mates behind when off-road. And constantly needing to check for cars / lorries / buses etc that are trying to ‘kill you’ !

Point is: these aren’t ‘ideal’ imo for constant road / busy road use. Luckily I live and ride rurally. If I drove in the City to any degree - I’d swap them out fairly quickly I think. But for the moment they stay.

Form over function to some degree I’d say 😎

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
So: I’ve been on vacation Touring California for 3 weeks. And while I’ve clearly done nothing to the Duke as such - I did grab enough Stainless bolts just before I left; to swap-out every engine case fixing inc the water pump. Plus a few more I’ve not done. Yet 😎 And bought a few bits and pieces off Amazon ready for my return….

One thing I thought I’d better invest in was a 1/4 drive Torque wrench (5-25nm). Nipping / snugging small fixings up; or finger tight plus quarter to half turn is ok. And I’ve used ‘feel’ for many years both at home and at work. With very few negative results to date. But I guess there is a better method: and the right tool for the job never goes amiss….

Also bought some 1/4 drive Allen sockets to help along with all these cap-head bolts and the newly arrived Torque Wrench 👍

And thought I’d run some BG44K fuel system cleaner through….as the bike has sat for ‘extended’ periods this Summer. And will this Winter for sure ! I know some of these products are Snake-oil at best. But this particular Brand / product seems to get rave reviews on Amazon / the internet and certainly isn’t cheap here in the U.K. (£25 ish). Anyone else used it ?

Font Rectangle Auto part Metal Nickel

**And I’m about to buy a Winter hack / commuter bike for some of the less atrocious Winter days here in the U.K. And save the 390 for Sun-on-your-back; B-road blats 👌

Toying between an ER-5 / GS500 type bike. But do also fancy a small ring-it’s-neck ‘crotch rocket’…..by way of a CBR250 or 300. Or a Ninja 250 or 300. Depends what turns up locally that’s half decent really……

Anyone got any previous ownership experience / advice on any of the above ?**Just looking for something cheap to run / insure, that will happily sit at 65mph for the 8 mile journey to and from work, whilst giving just a modicum of fun compared to being stuck in traffic in the car…..🤦‍♂️

Cheers.

·
Registered
2013 KTM Duke 390
86 Posts
And thought I’d run some BG44K fuel system cleaner through….as the bike has sat for ‘extended’ periods this Summer. And will this Winter for sure ! I know some of these products are Snake-oil at best. But this particular Brand / product seems to get rave reviews on Amazon / the internet and certainly isn’t cheap here in the U.K. (£25 ish). Anyone else used it ?
I've used BG44K when it was available here a decade ago on my car and it really works, unlike other injector cleaners I've used in the past. be careful with the ratios, the can is meant for a large tank of petrol. better add it to the tank and finish the whole tank in a single trip, I wouldn't let it sit inside for long

That's some lovely SS hardware you've got there :love:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I've used BG44K when it was available here a decade ago on my car and it really works, unlike other injector cleaners I've used in the past. be careful with the ratios, the can is meant for a large tank of petrol. better add it to the tank and finish the whole tank in a single trip, I wouldn't let it sit inside for long

That's some lovely SS hardware you've got there :love:
Good info on the BG44K ! Nice to hear it’s a decent product too 👍👌 THANKS.

**So armed with some new Stainless bolts, a torque wrench and some lube; with the radio on and a coffee on the go - I set about my Saturday Morning:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood

Swapped out Engine cases, Water Pump and Oil Filter first:

Camera accessory Reflex camera Camera lens Auto part Font

Followed by the other side Engine casing fixings…..

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim

No issues or leaks (Hopefully shows gaskets all in good shape) swapping one out one bolt at a time.

…..Apart from the paint finish on the Belly Pan brackets looking more than a little bit tired. So these will be at the Powder Coaters Monday Morning to be re-done in a Dark / Anthracite type Grey perhaps (?). Which gives me the opportunity to get rid of a little more ‘Black’ !!!

Hand tool Wood Tool Asphalt Road surface

Have a great Weekend all 👍

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Awesome, looks fab!

Get a M6x10 bolt for the coolant drain. Its the only sad looking bolt right now hehe
Ha ! You’re so right.

I’d seen that. Realised / presumed what it was. Also presumed it would leak if removed: and I’d need to do next time coolant is changed……

·
Registered
2013 KTM Duke 390
86 Posts
I’d seen that. Realised / presumed what it was. Also presumed it would leak if removed: and I’d need to do next time coolant is changed……
Yeah coolant will spill but it wont gush out. You can change the bolt without losing much coolant if you keep the new one close, just take out the old one and quickly put back in the new one. Its better to get a new M6 copper washer with the bolt.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Why the rush?
I guess no rush for either of us / anyone. It’s just a case of ‘while you’re there’…..

@JingalalaHoe - cheers 😎

Can you remember size / length it is please ?
Got plenty of Copper washers here. If I can be ready as possible: Might get away with losing next to nothing……and belly pan is off with Drain plug exposed and now looking at me sadly 😂

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
^^^And after getting a telling off for missing one 😉 😂………the coolant drain along with new Copper washer is now a Stainless item too 👍

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

**And as said by my learned friend; if you’re ready with a new M6 x 10mm bolt and Copper washer; you’ll literally lose less than a single drop doing it. My finger(s) barely got even slightly damp 😎

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Aimlessly scouring eBay tonight, I came across a Brand New / Genuine KTM Wavy rear brake disc. Ridiculously cheap ! 😳 Seller had plenty of other KTM items for sale. So I had no concerns over authenticity……

Before buying i searched the part number; to make sure it fits a Gen2 - it seems these (Rears ?) are made by Galfer. (Link below to same part number disc, with picture that has Galfer ‘Stamped’ on it):

Here’s the eBay item I snapped up cheap. Looks like I need a front to match now:

EDIT: Bugger-it. You only live once; so now bought the front too. That’s the pair sorted 😎

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 · (Edited)
Front and Rear Galfer discs in the house (Literally: Don’t tell the wife 😂 )

Along with newly Powder-coated Belly-Pan bracketry [Yes I WILL fight back some of those originally Black coloured parts !]

Guess what I’m doing this weekend 😉

Font Electric blue Rectangle Advertising Soil

Have a good one folks…….

·
Administrator
2,596 Posts
You've got stuff to do, enjoy 😁

Front and Rear Galfer discs in the house (Literally: Don’t tell the wife 😂 )

Along with newly Powder-coated Belly-Pan bracketry [Yes I WILL fight back some of those originally Black coloured parts !)

Guess what I’m doing this weekend 😉

View attachment 55467

Have a good one folks…….

81 - 100 of 128 Posts