KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
Duke 390. Surprising huh…..
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Despite big ‘plans’ - all I’ve managed to do today; is re-fit the Belly Pan back on with freshly powder-coated bracketry.

With a proper clean up underneath, sorting new Stainless fixings, lubing everything up and a tidy up after - a couple of hours quickly disappeared….. 🤦‍♂️

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper

Still. Good riddance to more standard Blackness 🤣

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
Can you tell it’s recently been ‘pay day’ 🤣

After everyone here suggesting this as an upgrade; I’ll have one in my hands tomorrow and ready to fit.

Rectangle Material property Carton Packaging and labeling Box
And decided I’ll tackle an engine management light coming on - myself; via an adaptor lead and OBD2 scanner.

Also thought ‘No way’ can I re-attach the new Galfer brake discs sitting here with the old / original bolts. So purchased new Titanium items for both the discs themselves and the ABS rings:
Circuit component Gas Electric blue Auto part Cable

There’s something so sexy about Ti bolts / fixings. Not sure if Ti gets machined rather than cast / forged. From the marks on the head - it would suggest maybe so (?) And maybe that is some of the huge increase in costs. Either way the finish is always on another level compared to anything else 😍

Gear Household hardware Fastener Screw Nickel

Roll on the weekend…….

Cheers.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
OBD2 Scanner / Code reader connected and working. And dash is now warning light free 😎

New Motobatt fitted. Batteries on these are a tight squeeze aren’t they ! Not an ideal job for my fat fingers 🤣😂

OLD EXIDE
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

NEW MOTOBATT:
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

****So can anyone in the know tell me about ‘fitting’ a front Galfer disc ?

The original disc has a circular hole in the centre that mounts around the hub itself. The Galfer has 6 x ‘fingers’ - like the original rear….

And as below from a front wheel for sale on eBay. The paint is removed on the mating face for the original disc to sit against:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Locking hubs

So does this mean when I fit the Galfer the thin strip of Silver / unpainted part of the wheel where the old disc mounted - and between the actual bolt-lugs - will now be showing and in view with the Galfer fitted 😳 Anyone done anything about that ?

·
Administrator
2,610 Posts
He Shuv,

When you ordered a floating wave brake disk from Galfer you probably got the wrong one.
As far as I know, be it Galfer, EBC, MotoMaster, Brembo etc. have a 'heart' that sits where the OE sits.
A quick look at the Galfer (EU) website shows no floating brake rotors without the 'heart'.

On the battery, one of the MANY advantages of a Li-Ion is you can have the same CCA or even more from a much smaller package.
My first reason to switch to Li-Ion at the time was to be able to pack my PT under the pillion seat as well as my OE Defcom alarm.

What OBDII setup you got in the end?

Product Screenshot Font Software Multimedia

I need to correct myself as doing a search on the products for >17 Galfer only shows 1 floating disk and indeed with fingers.

OBD2 Scanner / Code reader connected and working. And dash is now warning light free 😎

New Motobatt fitted. Batteries on these are a tight squeeze aren’t they ! Not an ideal job for my fat fingers 🤣😂

OLD EXIDE
View attachment 55517

NEW MOTOBATT:
View attachment 55518

****So can anyone in the know tell me about ‘fitting’ a front Galfer disc ?

The original disc has a circular hole in the centre that mounts around the hub itself. The Galfer has 6 x ‘fingers’ - like the original rear….

And as below from a front wheel for sale on eBay. The paint is removed on the mating face for the original disc to sit against:
View attachment 55519

So does this mean when I fit the Galfer the thin strip of Silver / unpainted part of the wheel where the old disc mounted - and between the actual bolt-lugs - will now be showing and in view with the Galfer fitted 😳 Anyone done anything about that ?

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Hiya mate. And thanks for your research !!

There seems to be a couple of slightly different front Galfer discs available For Gen2’s. All or both have ‘fingers’ of some sort. And also look to be different fitment type per-se: from Gen1 to Gen2……😎

Yea lithium would have been so appealing apart from 2 things. Firstly many reports of not suffering well in prolonged cold conditions (U.K. Winters anyone !!). And secondly I’d recently spent £100 on a C-Tek Trickle Charger / Conditioner that does lead-acid, AGM etc. But not Lithium. So that would have meant new charger too. And wasted money on recently bought item. Hence I went Motobatt.

Yea. I read something the other day you’d written on here. Saying your a Technophobe and ‘hated’ electrics / diagnostics / apps or similar. Well that’s me X 10 !!!!! I HATE that stuff with a passion. I’m a greasy nut and bolt / mechanical guy. End of….

So…….came across a Bluetooth, IPhone ready OBD2 on eBay; that required the use of the Car Scanner’ app. Which I already had the Pro version of as I use it for Data-Logging on my MX5 / Miata. So this made life trouble free and easy all around 😎

And for that: me and my frustration levels were very happy 🤣😂

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
THANKYOU VERY MUCH @Drzjohn !

I’m thinking i might offer the disc up to the front wheel, draw round the disc connection points - and then very carefully paint the exposed parts leaving the touch points bare to ensure flat contact between disc and wheel.

Cheers again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
THANKYOU VERY MUCH @Drzjohn !

I’m thinking i might offer the disc up to the front wheel, draw round the disc connection points - and then very carefully paint the exposed parts leaving the touch points bare to ensure flat contact between disc and wheel.

Cheers again.
I was thinking the same thing when I fitted mine but I didn't have any orange paint

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
8 months to the day into ownership I see ✅ Still really enjoying this bike. Do I crave slightly more ooomph ? Possibly. Maybe…..
But I’ve been there before. More than a handful of times ! And I always come back to smaller cc bikes. That need to be grabbed by the scruff of their necks and ridden. And when’s motorcycling EVER been about the straight bits. ***Must stay with the program and resist…..😎

Quite a lot has changed from the 99% dead standard bike it was 8 months ago too:

SPECS AS OF 12 / 10 / 22:

INTAKE:

Stock Airbox
K&N Air Filter
Open / Foam lined Airbox Lid

FUELLING:

Standard Electronic Fuel Injection
BoosterPlug Fuel enhancement ECU
Shell V-Power Fuel

ENGINE:

373cc Single Cylinder
NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug
Stainless Steel Magnetic sump bolt
Oil Filter cover Stud Conversion
Anodised Orange Engine plugs
Anodised Orange Oil Filler cap
Silkolene Pro4: 15w50 Fully Synthetic Oil

EXHAUST:

Factory Header / Cat etc
Scorpion Red Serket Tapered Ti Can
Custom removable Stainless Baffle

GEARBOX / DRIVE-TRAIN:

6-Speed Wet-Clutch
15-45 AFAM / Alloy Sprockets
D.I.D 520 Gold X-Ring Chain
A4-Stainless Gear Linkage and Ball-Joints

BRAKES:

Brembo Calipers
Braided hoses F+R
Galfer Wavy Discs F+R
Titanium Fixings F+R
EBC HH Sintered brake pads F+R
Anodised adjustable 3-Finger Shorty levers
Motul RBF 660 Dot-4 Brake fluid
Anodised Orange front reservoir cover
Anodised Black rear reservoir cover

SUSPENSION:

Stock WP Front + Rear
7-Clicks rear Pre-load

BODYWORK / PLASTICS:

KTM PowerParts Hand-guards
Carbon Fibre front fender extender
Rear Tail Tidy
DoubleTake Trail Mirrors
Stainless Steel Radiator Guard
Front and Rear crash bungs
FF Carbon Sprocket cover
Evotech Carbon Fibre ‘Shark’ Guard
Custom Bodywork Decals

OTHER:

KTM PowerParts Q/Release fuel cap
C-Tek Trickle Charger connection point
Renthal Medium Compound grips
Glass Dashboard screen-protector
CNC Swing-arm Bobbins
Knurled Aluminium F+R Footpegs
Numerous Titanium Fixings / Fastenings
Mostly Stainless Steel Bolts / Fasteners
Various Pro-Bolt Aluminium inserts etc
Motobatt AGM QuadFlex Battery

Suspension is the next obvious thing I haven’t attacked already: and that I could
work on over Winter. I need to start ‘researching’ on here and see what the options are. No point being a pioneer when plenty of others before me have already ‘cracked the code’……

Plant Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

Cheers !

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
You swapped out the Bybre calipers for Brembos?

·
Administrator
2,610 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Shuv,

Can you pls tell me where you've got these disk brake Ti fittings from?
My regular supplier (Race Specs) doesn't carry these.
TIA
@KTMasean 😎

·
Registered
624 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Added to watch list

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk
Ha ! You got some Ti already ? Or is the fetish starting :)

Really nice quality these. Even sit a little better / flusher than the originals to be fair.

I wasn't set on Titanium. But couldn't find Stainless. Either way - these are now known to fit perfectly front and rear on Gen2's.........

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
AliExpress. The place to head if you love Chinese c***.

Thought these were kinda cool though. Not that I have adjustable suspension right now. But handy to keep track of how much travel you’re really using……

£9.27 3% Off | 42-48mm DUKE Motorcycle Shock Absorber Auxiliary Adjustment Ring CNC Accessories for KTM R2R DUKE 125 200 250 390 790 890 1290

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Eh a simple cable tie will do the trick. Why send/spend unnecessary money to aliexpress
Indeed. Many things will ‘do the trick’ in life.

Others are infinitely more professional / better served / correct to task etc

As with anything - you pays your money and takes your choice…..👍

101 - 120 of 128 Posts