KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
A surprising number of Duke owners around the world find the lightweight, agile Duke a capable mount for light offroad duties. A set of 50/50 tires, a bashplate under the engine and perhaps a radiator guard are all it takes to convert the Duke to an enduro. No heavy-duty rock climbing or extreme offroad maneuvers, but the Duke is so versatile that it can do credible duty as a light-duty offroader. This is why there is a search for an effective, inexpensive bash plate.

·
Registered
290 Posts
A surprising number of Duke owners around the world find the lightweight, agile Duke a capable mount for light offroad duties. A set of 50/50 tires, a bashplate under the engine and perhaps a radiator guard are all it takes to convert the Duke to an enduro. No heavy-duty rock climbing or extreme offroad maneuvers, but the Duke is so versatile that it can do credible duty as a light-duty offroader. This is why there is a search for an effective, inexpensive bash plate.
Blimey - not of the Duke owners round here would take their bike off road, let alone take the sticky road tyres off and change them for 50/50 tyres...

in my book - if you want off road fun - buy another bike ....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Both my wife and myself like riding on gravel. Less cars to care about, great nature and fresh air... And since my wife is rather short we searched for a quite low bike with ABS. There´s not that many options.....

Therefor I decieded to "convert" it to a offroad bike. Knobby tires, heated grips, bash plate to come.....

And it´s performing really well on gravel roads and smaller paths! Off course, it cant be compared against my 1190 Adv R!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I´m going to India for a business trip and just ordered the Indimotard bash plate to be delivered to my hotel.....
Cross my fingers that it will be there when I show up!!

I really hope the mounting is easy, that it will fit without too many mods!!

Will post a pic of the "Swedish Enduro Duke" when it´s mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yippie, after some weeks of waiting I finally came to my hotel in India and the bash plate were waiting for me!!!
Total cost of appr 2300INR incl freight!!
Will post a pic when it's mounted!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yippie, after some weeks of waiting I finally came to my hotel in India and the bash plate were waiting for me!!!
Äsh.. You should have ordered two. One for me ?
Have you tried the Duke on ice yet? Trevlig resa!!

·
Super Moderator
1,227 Posts
Indi-motard bashplate

Not made it back to Sweden yet or did it not fit?
I had mine brought from India by a friend.
The bulkhead rubbers didn't fit but the plate went on smoothly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Given this post seems to have risen back up to the top I better put some info in on my bash guard.

This info is for the 2017 models onwards:

I wanted a bash guard for my Duke but no one was making any for the 2017 models. I came across this one from As3 performance.
https://www.as3performance.co.uk/ktm-390-duke-2013-2014-as3-aluminium-skid-plate-sump-bash-guard/

They were willing for me to try to get it to fit so I ordered it. With some tweaking I was able to get it to fit properly. I wrote a guide on my website here for how to do it. KTM Duke 390 2017-18 Sump guard/Skid plate | GordyHand.co.uk

My only addendum to that guide is that in riding with the guard the noise that the engine makes is changed. It was causing weird sounds. So since I wrote that guide I have created a rubber gasket set to stop the vibrations. It worked well so I have very happy with my choice.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts