KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KTM Adventure 390. 🍊 No quick shifter.
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My bike has 3000km. I just changed the air filter. Oil level is normal.
When I start the engine from cold initially there is a laudable hesitation and then the computer gives it a bit more “gas” so that the rpm rise to 3800 and then back down to 1900 after a second or two. Then it settles down and idles ok. Sometimes, before the computer “realizes” that more “gas” is needed the engine actually stalls after just 2 seconds after first fired up. This happens on every cold start. It ether stalls after a second or the rpm rise up high (before oil had a chance to reach the header!) and then settles down.
I also noticed some hesitation when engine is warm and slight pulsing sensation when accelerating as if the power comes in “pulses” and not linearly. It’s a feeling of a rough running engine.

It’s practically a brand new bike. Can it be that valve clearances need to be checked, is it running too lean or is this normal? How can I troubleshoot this?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update.
I was able to solve the pulsating sensation while accelerating by correcting the chain tension which was ok for most bikes, but not for this one. Adventure needs the tension to be EXACTLY according to spec (in the tightest place on the chain).
Separately, I finally understood why the bike feels so sluggish. It turns out to be the side effect of an engineering decision to install a bigger radiator on this bike. As a result of the increased cooling capacity the engine takes its time warming up… very slow warmup time.
I guess cooling was such a problem on the Duke that they went all in a bit too much.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bike does the same as you selected. How did you adjust?
Thanks
I adjusted exactly according to specification in the manual.
  1. Find the tightest spot on the chain. This is the spot that you have to work with and measure tension on.
  2. Loosen the main wheel nut.
  3. Use the chain tension bolts to equally adjust both sides. (Look how to do it on YouTube)
  4. The top of the tightest spot on the chain when pushed up needs to be 5mm-7mm from the bottom of the swing arm (in the center). Read your manual it’s all there. I used the wrenches in the toolkit for this. It’s not complicated.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In addition, the gearbox on the adventure has different (higher) gear ratios than the Duke even though the final drive ratio being the same. This makes the adventure noticeably less speedy from the stop lights, but it makes up for this with being more relaxed on the highways and with significantly better fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
Adventure 390
7 Posts
"When I start the engine from cold initially there is a laudable hesitation and then the computer gives it a bit more “gas” so that the rpm rise to 3800 and then back down to 1900 after a second or two. Then it settles down and idles ok. Sometimes, before the computer “realizes” that more “gas” is needed the engine actually stalls after just 2 seconds after first fired up "
this is my problem. My adventure have 7000km

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"When I start the engine from cold initially there is a laudable hesitation and then the computer gives it a bit more “gas” so that the rpm rise to 3800 and then back down to 1900 after a second or two. Then it settles down and idles ok. Sometimes, before the computer “realizes” that more “gas” is needed the engine actually stalls after just 2 seconds after first fired up "
this is my problem. My adventure have 7000km
I noticed that if you move the bike side to side a few times or roll it back and forth so that the oil inside splashes around in the engine before you start the engine it doesn’t stall and the choke effect of high revving is much less than if you just start it dry. I think maybe something is overtightened inside. Maybe valve clearances need to be checked.

·
Registered
Adventure 390
7 Posts
1. turn ignition on, 2 turn throttle slowly to finish, 3. turn ignition off. do not start engine

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Recalibrated the throttle and the problem is still there. I will check if KTM will change my fuel pipe for free in Canada.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update.
I was able to solve the pulsating sensation while accelerating by correcting the chain tension which was ok for most bikes, but not for this one. Adventure needs the tension to be EXACTLY according to spec (in the tightest place on the chain).
Separately, I finally understood why the bike feels so sluggish. It turns out to be the side effect of an engineering decision to install a bigger radiator on this bike. As a result of the increased cooling capacity the engine takes its time warming up… very slow warmup time.
I guess cooling was such a problem on the Duke that they went all in a bit too much.
Hi Johngalt
The engine should get up to the temperature of the value of the thermostat Before it starts to include the radiator , in the old days when i was a car mechanic we would fit a high temp thermostat for the winter to give a hotter heater in side the car and in the spring fit a lower temp stat for the summer . Or perhaps your thermostat is not fully seating , easy check is to see if the top of the rad gets warm too soon . Some thermostats are designed to stay open when faulty and some closed .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts