KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have the stock exhaust system with the DB killer removed. Does anyone else have a slip on exhaust and see a significant sound difference? Should I wait and do a full system with fuel remap? Also will the remap hurt engine life? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey guys. I have the stock exhaust system with the DB killer removed. Does anyone else have a slip on exhaust and see a significant sound difference? Should I wait and do a full system with fuel remap? Also will the remap hurt engine life? Thanks!

I would say my Yoshi Alpha T (without DB killer) is significantly louder than stock. Almost too loud for me (but I’m old).

If anything a remap should improve engine life because it’ll run richer/cooler than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Anyone have you gone to dealership to install the Akrapovic map? How is it?

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
The Akro flash upgrade is only available for the first gen Dukes as far as I know Eddyg22.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Akro flash upgrade is only available for the first gen Dukes as far as I know Eddyg22.

Hmm interesting. I went on power commanders website and noticed they inly have two maps. Do you know where i can get a custom tune?

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Eddyg22, sorry if I misunderstood your question earlier, KTM Akso flash is only available for first gen Dukes.
I know nothing of Power Commander.
PowerTRONICS has 2 pre-installed maps and is fully adjustable, fuel and ignition wise.
If experience you can fine tune the PowerTRONIC unit yourself using a laptop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i'm also looking for info on this. I have a stock 2019 Duke 390 and I want to make it louder. I was going to drill out the dB killer. Wouldn't the stock ecu be able to make any fuel corrections if there is any changes caused by increasing the airflow? I'm assuming the dB killer was only installed to pass noise restrictions and the stock ECU mapping should be able to run with the stock silencer completely removed. Am I wrong? Is there anyone who ran this bike on a dyno with the stock silencer removed to see if the lean AFR got any worse?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't think you'll have anything to worry about, the cat will provide the back pressure to keep that all in check. There are 100's of videos from people in India doing it... I doubt most of them are doing any proper fuel tuning.

Where in Socal are you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think you'll have anything to worry about, the cat will provide the back pressure to keep that all in check. There are 100's of videos from people in India doing it... I doubt most of them are doing any proper fuel tuning.

Where in Socal are you?
Hey 1jzsupra, thanks. From your nametag, sounds like you enjoy fun cars as well! I'm mainly in the San Gabriel Valley but don't need much reason to ride out further.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the DB killer removed from the stock exhaust and it does sound a little loud and bass has definitely increased which you will notice while riding the bike in the mid rpms(around 5k-7k). As you mentioned people have drilled out the DB, but I'm 100% sure that people don't know that there's still another valve kinda thing inside the stock exhaust just where the can ends and the pipe starts. Removing that is a pain in the ass but it does sound a little better than just drilling out the DB. Pops like anything rn when you leave the throttle.
And you won't be needing to do any kinda tune for that as there is still the pre-exhaust and the catalytic-converter in place.
But if you compare it with a good quality slipon exhaust, it will not come into comparison. The good slip-ons are much louder and grunty. Have an Austin Racing GP1R Slip-On installed on my friend's RC390. That sounds mind boggling. Not as loud as a full system but indeed a head turner and people will know somethings coming.

Where in Socal are you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts