KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think it all depends on your definition of "adventure." There have been a number of bikes available for years which fit the all-purpose, go-anywhere model -- the venerable and basically bulletproof KLR650 comes to mind -- and even more 250 enduros which would be suitable for really gnarly adventuring, the type which only a very few hardy riders will attempt. I hate to be cynical, but this whole category seems to be an artificially created marketing campaign trend to take advantage of the fact that a lot of riders are moving to smaller-displacement rides and manufacturers want to expand their product line accordingly. But I think the first step for anyone considering an "adventure" bike is to think about the specific "adventures" they have in mind and choose accordingly. I'll bet that 90% of those trips could be made on any reasonably lightweight machine, including the Duquito. I've ridden some pretty sketchy unpaved roads in Mexico and the Himalayas, but the only rides where I really NEEDED really serious off-road capability have been on singletrack trails around here in the Sierra. And those I don't ride any more due to the lack of a partner in case of an emergency. But just for the sake of the discussion, how do y'all define a serious "adventure" ride? The forbidding Darien Gap, the civilized (and mostly boring) Alaska Highway, or something in between? My own mental picture which fits the definition is the Manali-Leh road in northern India, but my experience a few years ago riding up to the 18,380' Kardung-La Pass on a rented 150cc Yamaha persuades me that even that even rides at the far end of the adventure spectrum can be done on most any motorcycle.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts