KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone has found a good Small Dog Carrier for their Duke 390. I want to bring my 18 lb. pug with me on rides but most of the carriers I have seen are for large cruising bikes with a sissy bar. Thanks in advance and as always pics are much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Alex, With a good set of quality bungee cords, you could easily strap your dog's carrier to the pillion seat. Check Amazon. It should work - Your dog is a lot lighter than a human pillion!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
This should be about the right size. Plenty of spots to hook bungees.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like a perfectly good way to kill a perfectly good and innocent dog. I wouldn't strap a dog to a bike any sooner than I would a toddler. Motorcycles come with inherent risks that dogs don't understand or choose. Don't underestimate the forces involved. I certainly wouldn't bungee a pet carrier. Bungees stretch and snap. At the very least, use a secure metal rack bolted to the frame with high quality nylon straps if you must. :eek:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Randr01d, I appreciate your caution. But I have spent years in the developing world, where it is routine to see an entire barnyard - goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, guinea fowl, pigs, etc. - strapped to the back of a small moto with a long rubber strap made from an inner tube. One small dog in a carrier should be simple by comparison.

Premium bungees (Bungees vary greatly in quality) are quite reliable. But I agree that something like a SW Motec rack would be the ideal place to attach a carrier, rather than the pillion seat. Ratchet straps, or better, a cargo net, would be very secure.

Dogs do seem to enjoy riding on bikes. I have seen quite a number of them: in sidecars, in trailers, attached behind the rider, in the rider's lap, and a few weeks ago, a beagle boldly perched on the tank of a Harley, ears flapping in the breeze like Dumbo (Definitely not recommended). But if Alex wants to take his pug in a solid carrier, securely strapped down, then I don't think the dog would be at any more risk than the rider. Nothing in life is entirely risk-free.

Reactions: Alex Rourke

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was actually thinking of a tank bag with very strong magnets. This way I could always keep an eye on her to make sure she is alright. Honestly I think the toughest part will be convincing the wife to let me do it.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
A good idea in principle, Alex, but both the Duke's tank shroud and tank are plastic, so magnetic is out. You would have to use straps to secure the tank bag/carrier.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
That dog ("Dog") in the link is just too bloody cool!! Takes off his own shades.... I liked the owner's comment that Dog is less expensive than a girlfriend - undoubtedly Dog has simpler expectations of the relationship. Apparently Dog learned his riding technique spontaneously, by trial-and-error. I've never seen a riding dog hold the rider's shoulders like that. Fantastic!

Thanks for the link!

Reactions: duke200

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Looks good and nicely made, Alex. I assume your dog is under 20 pounds. It will probably be something of a learning process to get your dog accustomed to riding on the back of your Duke in this bag, but I predict that before long he/she will love it! Enjoy, and ride safe..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts