KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a problem with my duke...

If someone has some idea what it sounds like I would appreciate the help. I'll write some background when I log in on my PC.

Edit:
So, it seems my problem is solved (although I didn't have time to ride the bike yet, hopefully, that problem will be solved soon as well ;P).

First I'll give you some background. Although my Duke has only about 7k km on the clock it was used on the track and for gymkhana, so checking valves was in order (also, it was already late according to the 2-year interval in the service manual). To make matters worse it sat unused for well over a year after I crashed it on track breaking my finger (nothing serious) and later on I broke my knee (which was definitely serious).

Fast forward to this year - I finally did a big service on my Duke - usual oil and filters, spark plug, and of course - the dreaded valve clearances. After all that I had some problems with that were most likely the result of old fuel and a little too loose valves. As all of them were too tight I wasn't too worried about that.

Then it happened. I went on a ride and when I was returning home I pushed the bike a little through the gears. All seemed to be working fine, but when I slowed I heard the engine making the sound from the video. As I was really close to home I just rode there trying to be as gentle as possible.

The first thing I checked (even before posting here) was chain tensioner - and sure enough, it was crooked a little. Sadly changing it did not help much.

In the end, I redid the clearances following the original values from the service manual (not the updated ones), but I might have messed them up before, so it is possible that the newer values would work just fine as well. While redoing them though I've noticed something weird - the screw that holds gear to the intake camshaft was loose - not event fingertight. The gear itself was moving a little - which leads me to believe that might have been the issue. :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Seem to be a lot of threads like. Example:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there I'm not the only one with a similar problem, I just wonder if someone will be able to help me identify it from the sound.

At first I thought it might be the timing chain tensioner, and it was a little crooked when I took it out. Sadly, installing another one (used, but visually in good condition) did not help.

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
When was the last time your valves were checked/set for clearance?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Take it back apart before something breaks! Here's the clearances in case you do not have them. Taken from the 2013 svc manual, 13-16 should all be the same (not sure if anything changed internally from 17-up).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same specs as my 2017. If you're sure that your clearances are accurate, then something else is wrong. Cam chain tensioner, cam followers, ??? I agree with shush319 - take it apart before it takes itself apart.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hoped it was chain tensioner, and when I took it out it was crooked a little. But replacing it did not resolve the issue, so I've already taken it apart. There was no obvious damage (at least not obvious to me). The weird thing was some black, non-metallic particles in oil - I think that it might've been shaving from chain slider, as it has few bruises.

My plan for now is to redo the clearances (it seemed to me that at least one intake valve was too loose) and see what happens. :p

·
Registered
765 Posts
Replace the timing chain, and make sure your replace/redo your shim clearances, should solve the issue.

Cheers!
VJ

Reactions: Dino

·
Registered
61 Posts
Same thing happen to my 02 R1 once. Previous owner had recently had the valve shims done just before he sold it to me. Nasty rattle started after I rode it for maybe 5 miles. Got lucky I parked it and went n got a truck to get it home. When I took it apart, 2 bolts on 1 of the cams were falling out and rubbing inside the head. So I then checked the valves, there were maybe 4 out of 20 (Yamaha 5 valve per cyl head) were within spec and several of the cam cap bolts were stripped. In the end, I had to get a new head & cams. Nearly lost a friend over it also, but we ganged up on the guy that did the valve job and he paid for the head and cams.... These are reasons NOBODY works on my bikes but me, there are some great techs out there, but I never have the piece of mind unless I do the job myself.

Glad you figured it out before it destroyed itself!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts