KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Deb, my wife has just passed her test so we are looking at getting her a 2016 Duke 390. Reason being is the 2017 onwards is 30mm taller and as we need to lower the bike 30mm anyway, the 2016 it is. We are currently in the process of selling her 2015 125 Duke that is lowered & seat sculpted - yes, she’s that short!!
I don’t have height issues and have a Multistrada, 97 Buell & a Firestorm I use on track. It’s most likely to be me coming on here to pick your brains of what works, what doesn’t etc etc. Forum power is awesome.
Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
Welcome from the US!

Hard to believe that 30mm actually makes that much of a difference, but if it does, it does. Here's to you guys enjoying many safe miles together.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would lower a second generation Duke, before I would a first (2016 earlier). If 30mm means that much, wear riding boots with thicker soles
I agree, the new bike is much better looking with full LED lighting, love it :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
I’ve got a genuine KTM lowering kit for sale
For the 2017 onwards Duke 390
If you are interested
It’s brand new boxed. Depends on where in the world you are located though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like the op didn't stick around very long, he's not seen any of the answers. Why bother posting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

Sorry for the gap in posts (Charles)... Life is hectic!!

Deb now has a 2014 KTM 390. The newer version is just too high standard.

I am in the process of lowering the bike with a Wilburs rear shock & fork kit that is suited to her weight and drops the bike 50mm!

Rear shock is in, I need the special tool to remove the cap on the cartridge........I've ordered one from Dirtbikexpress but they are unsure if it will fit the Duke - fingers crossed.

Yes the newer Duke would have been nice, but Deb prefers the look of this model and as she is only 5', I just wouldn't have been able to get it low enough. Even with the Wilburs kit, I am still going to have to get the seat narrowed for her. Luckiy her son is a trimmer!!

Happy New year all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don’t suppose someone can send me a screenshot of the fork cartridge internals from the tech manual? I see I need 10 posts to access them on here & whilst I understand why, I don’t want to post sh!t just to get my post count up! 😀

·
Premium Member
978 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered a tool from a MX shop as it said it was for KTM’s...... it didn’t fit! Got this adjustable 2 pin tool from Toolstation for £3.98 - it’s done the job but I don’t think it’d do another set! Heated the top of the fork leg to break the thread lock but it was still tight as feck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts