·
Premium Member
978 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks again CDN.

Forks all back together and back in the bike.

Thought I'd look at front calliper whilst I was there, good job I did, 2 of the pistons were seized! Stripped calliper down & removed pistons, they were really stuck! Overhaul kit on order, should be here Tuesday. Going to do an oil & filter change whilst I am there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
5950 miles. A previous owner commuted on it. Last owner had a new radiator fitted because it was pretty grotty.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Not even 10,000 km in 3 years?
Brake fluid ever changed?
Sounds more to me due to leak of usage.
Condensation water accumulated behind the rubber cap and most likely moist saturated brake fluid as well.
I think riding in salt or such situations will not be the cause unless a rubber cap (or 2) were damaged.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not even 10,000 km in 3 years?
Brake fluid ever changed?
Sounds more to me due to leak of usage.
Condensation water accumulated behind the rubber cap and most likely moist saturated brake fluid as well.
I think riding in salt or such situations will not be the cause unless a rubber cap (or 2) were damaged.
The corrosion had gone past the dust seal to the oil seal, likely from winter riding. What do you mean by rubber cap?
New fluid will be going in when I put it all back together this weekend.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Garry
to stop the corrosion going up the side of the pistons red rubber grease forced down the sides when assembling works well.
As you probably know only the springiness of the seals pulls the psitons back off the disks so if they are not springing nicely the brakes will drag and overheat the fluid.

Btw How many miles has yours done?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi Garry
to stop the corrosion going up the side of the pistons red rubber grease forced down the sides when assembling works well.
As you probably know only the springiness of the seals pulls the psitons back off the disks so if they are not springing nicely the brakes will drag and overheat the fluid.

Btw How many miles has yours done?
Sorry, missed your post!
Yup, well greased up and brakes working fine. 👍

21 - 31 of 31 Posts