KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I'm in the Portland area, and looking for Duke and other small bike riders. Group rides would be cool, but really just looking for people to talk to about good roads, recommended rides, and events.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hello.
If you're not from around here; come see the area anyway! If you are interested in taking a trip to Maine / New England; here's a little info on the region, from a motorcycling perspective (wrote this in another thread that I thought was kind of obscure, so I wanted to post it somewhere newer and more general):

Here's my take on it (small cc motorcycle trips to New England): the main good reason to come to Maine, especially from the south, is to see the coast. if you're looking for good twisties, mountains, and lakes; New Hampshire is the best bet. The White Mountains are stunning, imo more majestic that the Rockies, Tetons, or Yosemite; very broad peaks, and long ridgelines, the northern Appalachians are the oldest mountains in the world. I'd say the Kancamagus Highway is regarded as on of the best motorcycle roads in New England, if you're alright with alot of cruiser riders around. Also, an awesome trip would be to take the Mt. Washington Auto Road, park at the top, and take a day hike along the ridge. The landscape above treeline is nothing less than lunar, especially in the sunset.

THAT SAID, if you want to see Maine, the Lakes Region around Moosehead Lake has nice, almost boreal forests, and lots of wildlife, though the roads are questionable and often gravel (2020 390 ADV, anyone?). Baxter State Park is a similar story.

AGAIN, I would say come to the Midcoast Region (Portland area to Bar Harbor), and experience the unique rocky jagged coastline. Bar Harbor and Mount Desert Island are crowded but nice. Casco Bay is really great. Portland, Falmouth, and Harpswell all have good roads along the coast. Harpswell has lots of rocky peninsulas and lobster restaurants. If you are looking for an adventure, you could also take your bike on the Casco Bay ferry, and ride around some of the islands, though Peaks is really the only one with many well paved roads.
And be sure to stop by South Portland and Cape Elizebeth, to see the iconic lighthouses.

-Jasper

1 - 4 of 4 Posts