KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have just brought a new KTM 2017 model. It is brand new, just been sitting at the dealers for 3 years.
I have nearly done 500km, this is my first bike and am hoping you all maybe able to answer a girls' silly questions.
I was changing down from 6th to 5th and the bike stalled and the oil light came on. It wouldn't start until i stopped.
The oil temp was ok. This was about at 200km. I checked the oil when i got home, i waited to the bike cooled down as i thought thats what you did. My partner doubled checked it when he came home and there was no oil in the window. So we rang the dealer and they gave us a 1 litre of oil. We used about 600ml before the oil came up in the window. We then went for a ride, got the bike hot and no problems, checked the window whilst hot all good, checked it when it was cold all good.
Now today i have ridden about 30 km and the bike has stalled twice, again dropping grars and the oil light comes on.
Took it straight to the dealer and they have said it has 800ml of oil too much in it? Hence the issue... So does that means they over filled it and that was the problem in the first place? Also my bike didn't come with a manual and i am waiting on it still, been 2 months!! Whats the best way to the check the oil please and has anyone else had this issue???? Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to check the oil when it's at running temp. If the oil light comes on after it stalls, that's what it's supposed to do. When the engine dies the oil pump shuts off and the oil pressure drops, triggering the light to come on.

No idea why it's stalling. Could just be your clutch technique. I've stalled mine quite a few times, they can be pretty sensitive if you work the clutch quickly.

If you just bought it, why not work with the dealer on the stalling issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all,
I have just brought a new KTM 2017 model. It is brand new, just been sitting at the dealers for 3 years.
I have nearly done 500km, this is my first bike and am hoping you all maybe able to answer a girls' silly questions.
I was changing down from 6th to 5th and the bike stalled and the oil light came on. It wouldn't start until i stopped.
The oil temp was ok. This was about at 200km. I checked the oil when i got home, i waited to the bike cooled down as i thought thats what you did. My partner doubled checked it when he came home and there was no oil in the window. So we rang the dealer and they gave us a 1 litre of oil. We used about 600ml before the oil came up in the window. We then went for a ride, got the bike hot and no problems, checked the window whilst hot all good, checked it when it was cold all good.
Now today i have ridden about 30 km and the bike has stalled twice, again dropping grars and the oil light comes on.
Took it straight to the dealer and they have said it has 800ml of oil too much in it? Hence the issue... So does that means they over filled it and that was the problem in the first place? Also my bike didn't come with a manual and i am waiting on it still, been 2 months!! Whats the best way to the check the oil please and has anyone else had this issue???? Thanks
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to check the oil when it's at running temp. If the oil light comes on after it stalls, that's what it's supposed to do. When the engine dies the oil pump shuts off and the oil pressure drops, triggering the light to come on.

No idea why it's stalling. Could just be your clutch technique. I've stalled mine quite a few times, they can be pretty sensitive if you work the clutch quickly.

If you just bought it, why not work with the dealer on the stalling issue?
Thanks, I am talking with the dealer and they are being helpful. Sometimes it's just good to get others perspectives. Yes i have noticed the clutch takes a little getting used to.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The oil level check on the viewing glass takes a little getting used to.
Until your manual arrives, have a look at this: KTM 390 DUKE 2017 OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.
The engine stalling might be helped with an ECU software update, check with your dealer what software your Duke is running and what the latest update is.
If your Duke has been sitting idle for 3 years I am sure there will be a number of updates available unless of course your dealer did these before handing you the bike.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Hi,

I also have 2017 and on running in I had stalling issues. I bought my bike new in '17.

Check your coolant level if you haven't already done so. Mine was way way down for second service and overheated.

Def get the updates to software done as advised here.

While running in and with mileage still in 3 figures I rode my bike with care. I have since wrung its neck each time I am out. It seems to thrive on that. I only ride it in fair weather, so mostly the few summer months we have here on the island of Ireland. The '17 models do heat up quickly esp when stopped at traffic lights. My fan kicks in and makes the usual racket. This also normal but once moving the fan clicks off pretty quick.

So far I haven't had any further problems with stalling and I now have over 3k miles on the bike.
I hope you get your issue resolved. If you find it is anything different than the suggestions on the forum it would be great to hear from you.

Steven

1 - 5 of 5 Posts