KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a fine Sunday I started for a ride with friends to the twisties of Meghalaya. The ride was an awesome one only to end with a clanking sound inside of my engine. That there were quite a few aggressive downshifts and mine being a non slipper 390 duke fishtailed which in a kind of way is quite exiting at times. At halfway as mentioned earlier a clanking sound started to come from inside of the engine raising concern for me but being helpless rode home slowly (60 to 70kmph max). by the time I was about to reach home low battery also flashed in the display. Kept the bike lying for a week and when time permitted decided to visit the service. As soon as I cranked the engine after installing a new battery (Old battery died) violent sounds came in from the left side of the crankcase; but soon it disappeared and likewise rode to the service center as I also had a periodic service due. The service personnel also said it was not such a big issue (as they didn't hear the sounds) & to carry on. But I insisted that the left crankcase be opened and checked. So they drained the oil just to find some metal debris caught up in the magnets of the strainer. This was enough evidence for them to open up the crankcase. It was revealed that one of the allenkey bolts out of 3 which holds the stator coil to the crankcase cover came off and started creating menace in between the magnet & stator coil (thus the clanking sounds) also which drained the battery completely by the end of the ride as mentioned earlier. The stator coil was completely ruined as the bolt hit the coil at several points so had to replace the stator coil which costed about 15 dollars including labour charges. I was lucky that the debris didn't make its way towards the piston or the gear box.

Partha..

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue right now and i have been looking up thru forums if anybody has the same issue that i have. The thing has started when I was starting the motorcycle on the way from my work. A ramming sound came out of the engine at the cold start but it disappeared a few seconds after the start. I was really scared of the sound I am hearing. Even thou on the way to the work the bike was writting me a message that there is a low battery. I thought that it is ok when I am riding because the alternator is charging the battery when I am riding it. On my way back home I was losing a power and the bike was acting really weird. The neutral RPM were around 4 thousand, the throttle reaction was really bad and suddenly the engine stopped working. I could restard the engine again but I could not go any further because of the power issue and then the battery was blown off. I got it to the garage with a help of my friend that has a van. I meassured the battery and it was not charged. After charging I ignited the bike again and the ramming sound came out again for a few seconds. (really hard ramming sound like u would think the engine is going to blown) Then it has not occured again and the engine was still going so I was able to meassure the battery if it is charging and it was not charging the battery. I stopped the engine and disconnected the stator to beep it if it is going or not. One combination was not working so I decided to take out the cover of the alternator and look what has happend. I realized that there has happened the same issue that was described there at this topic. The screw has unscrewed and it has damaged not just the stator but even the rotor as well. The screw made a holes into the stator as you can see in the pictures attached. I am lucky that the debris has not found its way towards the transmission or anywhere else because I found a few small bits of it outside of the rotor but it could have occured while I was dismounting the cover of the alternator. Now I am facing a new stator and rotor because the flying screw has made a lot of damage even to the rotor and it made a holes to the rotor that cannot be repaired by any other way than changing it. I hope that this topic will help a lot of people that has issued the same issue as I am right now. It was a 390 duke 2014 ABS white bike and the bike was showing an error of 2x long and 4x short FI mistake. Beware of that and good luck to everyone having this nice bike in their use !!

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
I reckon these issues are due to poor bolt torque and or lack of threadlocker thereof. These things are prone to happen right from the factory, sad that these happen to some of us. Use medium to extra strong threadlocker on these crucial component bolts to prevent future catastrophes.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts