KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks. Been a while! I've been super busy with work and just riding a lot enjoying the end of summer and beginning of fall.

I was adjusting my chain today and noticed a couple tight spots. I've been pretty good about cleaning and lubing the chain... and only have about 3k miles on it. The tights spots are not that extreme... but they are there nonetheless. I just adjusted to the tighter spots as not to have too much tension.

Long story short, it got me thinking about my chain and potentially replacing it. I looked through the manual and all the info it has is 520 O ring. Does anybody know how many links the stock chain comes with? I have a chain breaker tool... but I've been able to find chains for my other bikes that were perfect length and didn't need to be shortened.

I know you can use an x ring chain... but what about a z ring? I saw this chain online:

KTM Orange Z-Ring Chain 520x118: AOMC.mx

Has a masterlink clip... which always makes things easy.

Any thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

A

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yeah, don't use a clip if you can possibly avoid it.
If you HAVE to, make sure you install it the correct way round, and either lock wire it or put clear silicone on it .

·
Registered
161 Posts
The OEM chain is a STEEL X RING 520 x 112 LINKS

The best replacement is a DID VX2 GOLD X RING 520 X 112 LINKS and they come with either rivet or clip link.

If you look in my Garage you will see one fitted, but I have a 47T rear sprocket so mine has 114 links

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The OEM chain is a STEEL X RING 520 x 112 LINKS

The best replacement is a DID VX2 GOLD X RING 520 X 112 LINKS and they come with either rivet or clip link.

If you look in my Garage you will see one fitted, but I have a 47T rear sprocket so mine has 114 links
Thanks so much for this!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Interesting.
yeah, if you look at the manual, it says hang a 33 lb weight from the front of the chain, then measure 20 pins distance; if it's 11.874 inches or more, toss the chain.
I just went to this a coupla' days ago, and only have 4500 miles on the OEM; it measures right at the 11-7/8ths toss measure.
I bought an RK 520XSO, to me a good compromise... and a gold clip link from the same supplier; 112 links (stock length), running 16/43 gearing. The gearing uses the same chain, but moves the axle back 0.19 inches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts