KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gen. 2 Duke 390 with a loude cooling fan(let's call it fan1).
I don't want this fan as its loud and turns on way to often.
So been looking at options and can see the there is a newer version from KTM( let's call it fan2)
This seems to let more air pass through but I don't know if its still loud?
Then there is the Spal fan where minor mods is needed and people say it effective and quiet.

Fan1

Fan2

Spal

Question I have is:

1. Is fan2 more quite than fan1?
  2. Can fan1 be modified to make better airflow? Maybe even make it quite?
  3. Does anyone have ktm part no. for fan2?
  4. Where in Europe do I get the Spal fan?
Note: I live i Denmark so not worried about heat flowing onto me legs, if anything most days its a bonus!

·
Super Moderator
1,040 Posts
Hi LONDIN,

I never used the fan2 you mentioned and was not even aware of this option (I ride gen1)
As for the SPAL fan option that is significantly quieter you can buy these easily in Europe as it is an Italian manufacturer.
I bought 5x in Germany, used 2 (200 and 390) and sold the 3 others here.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Maybe this was discussed here already: Does quieter also mean less air flow? It seems with fans in general they make more noise with more air flow. So if a fan does not make so much noise then probably there is less air flow = less cooling, correct?
Did anybody ever try to run the original fan i.e. on 80% speed? Likely it will make less noise and probably will cool the engine good enough for most situations.
The fan on my bike is very often on. I live in hot Bangkok. But I am used to the noise and don't really care.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi LONDIN,

I never used the fan2 you mentioned and was not even aware of this option (I ride gen1)
As for the SPAL fan option that is significantly quieter you can buy these easily in Europe as it is an Italian manufacturer.
I bought 5x in Germany, used 2 (200 and 390) and sold the 3 others here.
I thing I may have searched the wrong part number for the spal fan.
I have found 2 part numbers
  • VA31-A101-46A
Using VA31-A101-46A i found EU places who is selling it. Using 30103011 I mostly found US vendors.

What part number did you use?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does quieter also mean less air flow? It seems with fans in general they make more noise with more air flow. So if a fan does not make so much noise then probably there is less air flow = less cooling, correct?
Not necessarily. The noise level of a fan depends on its size (a larger diameter fan may flow more air and be quieter at the same time) and somewhat on the aerodynamics of the blades and housing (poorly designed shapes can lead to more "wind" noise).

That is, if you're comparing the same exact two fans, if one's quieter it likely is running on less power and giving less airflow, but if you're comparing two different fans it's harder to say without measuring.

·
Super Moderator
1,040 Posts
These are the fans I ordered, received use and sold in Thailand.
Brushed Axial Fans - SPAL (if the link does not jump to the actual fan VA31-A101-46A put this in the search box to find all the details, flow chart etc of this Italian fan)
On the fan, I installed on my bike it says: VA31-A101-46A 12V / 10R-04-2740 / NoWO 5864216

To Edeá remark, fan noise also depends on the shape of the blades, the construction of the e-motor and obviously in our case the air-duct behind the fan OEM.

In all honesty, I do not recognise this fan to be MUCH quieter than the OEM fan on my 2015 Duke 390 while riding.
At traffic lights, it is more noticeable
SPAL.jpg .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts