KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to make chain adjustments and wanted to know if the stock tool kit is capable of loosening the rear axel nut.

Thank you kindly

·
Registered
489 Posts
I cannot remember if the ring wrench is included.
the proper tool would be a 22mm socket or ring wrench

Reactions: Skelly

·
Registered
668 Posts
As noted theissue isn’t so much as to whether there is a tool to fit it but there is no way you could loosen and then retighten to the correct torque with anything in the stock tool kit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In a pinch (roadside repair), you can forego using the proper torque on the rear wheel nut and just go by feel - better than being stranded. You're tightening against a steel spacer so you won't crush anything. Make sure the nut is tight (won't rattle off) and that you don't overdo it and twist the head off (I imagine it'd be hard to do with the stock tools' lack of leverage...).

If you're doing planned maintenance, buy proper tools. It's an investment that pays itself off in saved time and money you'd spend on a mechanic.

Judging by the pics I found online, the tool kit does contain that ring wrench. A flimsy one, but it's there. I can't be bothered to go to the garage and check ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In a pinch (roadside repair), you can forego using the proper torque on the rear wheel nut and just go by feel - better than being stranded. You're tightening against a steel spacer so you won't crush anything. Make sure the nut is tight (won't rattle off) and that you don't overdo it and twist the head off (I imagine it'd be hard to do with the stock tools' lack of leverage...).

If you're doing planned maintenance, buy proper tools. It's an investment that pays itself off in saved time and money you'd spend on a mechanic.

Judging by the pics I found online, the tool kit does contain that ring wrench. A flimsy one, but it's there. I can't be bothered to go to the garage and check ;)
thank you so much for this reply

·
Registered
161 Posts
I went out and checked , the tools are still in the sealed plastic inside the pouch , and it looks like everything you would need is there . Why is it still sealed , because I have real tools in my shed .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went out and checked , the tools are still in the sealed plastic inside the pouch , and it looks like everything you would need is there . Why is it still sealed , because I have real tools in my shed .
I ordered the socket I needed as well as a breaker bar and a torque wrench. I am waiting for it to arrive. I have been buying tools slowly but surely as I need them. I needed to make chain adjustments and wanted to do so with the provided tools which I did. To get more leverage I used a 2 foot pipe and I slid the ktm provided wrench into the pipe and that did the trick. I got the chain adjusted perfectly and everything went well.

Once I get my torque wrench and 22mm socket I will make sure the rear wheel is torqued to spec.

thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ordered the socket I needed as well as a breaker bar and a torque wrench. I am waiting for it to arrive. I have been buying tools slowly but surely as I need them. I needed to make chain adjustments and wanted to do so with the provided tools which I did. To get more leverage I used a 2 foot pipe and I slid the ktm provided wrench into the pipe and that did the trick. I got the chain adjusted perfectly and everything went well.

Once I get my torque wrench and 22mm socket I will make sure the rear wheel is torqued to spec.

thank you
Did the breaker bar work for you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts