KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
Welcome Paul,

Are you aware yet of the search option (top centre of this page)?
Comes in very handy when looking for advice.
The most used cure is a piggyback, Rapid Bike (Easy/EVO), PowerTRONIC, Power CommanderV and the like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Paul,

Are you aware yet of the search option (top centre of this page)?
Comes in very handy when looking for advice.
The most used cure is a piggyback, Rapid Bike (Easy/EVO), PowerTRONIC, Power CommanderV and the like.
Hi
Thanks for the welcome , as you can see I am new to this forum and appreciate your help , should I now delete my whole post as it has already been covered and i don't want to upset the administrator ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Guys
I have only done 150 miles on my 2020 Duke 390 is there anything I can do about my weak mixture , runs fine above 4000 rpm.
Hey Paul! Welcome to the forums. My 2021 hasn't got much more road time than your 2020, with about 250 miles so far. We're both in the break-in period, during which I believe the ECU is set to artificially low points to discourage riders from operating their new bikes in a way that will cause a bad break-in.

The mandatory 620 mile/1,000km service involves "unlocking" the ECU. I would wait until after that service before you start modding non-cosmetic components.

EDIT: I realize now you might mean you bought a used 2020 Duke and you personally have only put 150 miles on it. I saw you say 'it runs fine above 4000 rpm' and connected some dots in my head because I know my bike also does not like to go below 4,000 RPM right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Paul! Welcome to the forums. My 2021 hasn't got much more road time than your 2020, with about 250 miles so far. We're both in the break-in period, during which I believe the ECU is set to artificially low points to discourage riders from operating their new bikes in a way that will cause a bad break-in.

The mandatory 620 mile/1,000km service involves "unlocking" the ECU. I would wait until after that service before you start modding non-cosmetic components.

EDIT: I realize now you might mean you bought a used 2020 Duke and you personally have only put 150 miles on it. I saw you say 'it runs fine above 4000 rpm' and connected some dots in my head because I know my bike also does not like to go below 4,000 RPM right now.
Hi
Thank you for your help , I should of said I bought the bike new but like most of us with Covid there was no race meetings to spectate at , and have just gone out on fine days for a 20 to 30 mile ride just to enjoy the bike , but i do like to go to a motorcycle race meeting as having a destination and the expectation of a good day out is much more fun . I was intending to carry out the first service myself ( I realize this will invalidate the 2 year warranty ) as i have had bad experiences with Dealers in the past and i admit i am fussy and a bit of an Anorak at times , will this mean that the E.C.U. unit will not automatically richen the mixture at low revs after the running in period or will i need to have it reset and adjusted ? :unsure:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi
Thank you for your help , I should of said I bought the bike new but like most of us with Covid there was no race meetings to spectate at , and have just gone out on fine days for a 20 to 30 mile ride just to enjoy the bike , but i do like to go to a motorcycle race meeting as having a destination and the expectation of a good day out is much more fun . I was intending to carry out the first service myself ( I realize this will invalidate the 2 year warranty ) as i have had bad experiences with Dealers in the past and i admit i am fussy and a bit of an Anorak at times , will this mean that the E.C.U. unit will not automatically richen the mixture at low revs after the running in period or will i need to have it reset and adjusted ? :unsure:
From what I've read, the break-in service really needs to be done at the dealership because it involves getting the bike up to spec with any recalls/etc. as well as the ECU modification. Oil changes and all that we can do ourselves, but those periodic services (I think 1,000km/7,500km/15,000km) need to be done at a dealership or a repair shop with all the KTM kit. Don't quote me on that, I got all that info from a Google search so YMMV. :p

EDIT - 620 miles/4,660 miles/9,320 miles. Thanks Google!

·
Registered
804 Posts
First service I’d generally recommend getting done at a good dealer because it will allow an experienced mechanic to run over the bike and fix anything the factory didn’t get right. In most countries dealer service is also necessary if you want to keep the warranty but remember that service is due either at one year or at mileage whichever comes first.

Whether you do some or all of the servicing at home depends on your skills but the average rider should have no issues with most of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys
I have only done 150 miles on my 2020 Duke 390 is there anything I can do about my weak mixture , runs fine above 4000 rpm.
I have a 2021 with about 1500 miles on it. I recently installed a FuelX Pro from Powertronic. Fairly easy install. I’m running it at level 6. Levels 1&2 are lean, 3 is stock, 4-10 are progressively richer. idle is smoother, no more surging below 4000 rpm. Throttle response is better. Overall, engine is more refined. I have about 150 miles on it. MPG is same as stock so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 with about 1500 miles on it. I recently installed a FuelX Pro from Powertronic. Fairly easy install. I’m running it at level 6. Levels 1&2 are lean, 3 is stock, 4-10 are progressively richer. idle is smoother, no more surging below 4000 rpm. Throttle response is better. Overall, engine is more refined. I have about 150 miles on it. MPG is same as stock so far.
Are you using it with stock ECU ? Is there any power gain ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts