KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride my Duke 390 (2017) since years in Bangkok. Normally it’s hot (30 degrees Celsius or more) and lots of traffic which means mostly stop and go and slow riding.

Until now I had no problems with the temperature. The fan is often on but it is able to keep the temperature at 4 or max 5 bars.

Today I was riding and all was normal. Then suddenly the temperature indicator was on full 8 bars and there was a warning like High Engine Temperature. The engine was running and responding normal. I rode maybe 500m more and then I parked the bike.

I waited maybe 5 minutes and switched it on again. The temperature still showed 8 bars. I started the engine and let it run for maybe 30 seconds. I wanted to see if the temperature goes down. It didn’t so I switched it off again.

Then I waited maybe 10 minutes more and I switched the bike on again. Now it showed 4 bars – normal. Then I drove the bike home, maybe 10km. This time it was slow riding but not stop and go. And when I had to stop at a red light I switched off the engine.

At one time the temperature indicator was on 5 bars but never higher.

Now I stopped the bike and later I will check the water and oil levels.

What surprised me about this is that it happened suddenly and then suddenly all seemed to be normal again. I am pretty sure the fan was running most of the time but I am so used to the fan that I can’t be 100% sure.

What is your experience with overheating? I would have expected that the bikes gets slowly hotter, maybe over 10 to 20 minutes. But I am pretty sure that is not what happened. I think it was on 4 bars as usual and then suddenly on max with the warning. Strange!

The bike has about 15,000 km, I had it for service maybe 1000km ago.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
My best guess (from a distance and experience with first-gen Dukes and temperatures) is the temperature sensor has gone banana's.
I once solved this problem by disconnecting the connector at the sensor, spraying it with electric-clean and reconnect.
There is an over-temperature safety on these engines and when it really gets too hot it switches the engine off.
The dash will show all bars and the high temp warning including the orange triangle but in fact, the radiator temp is within spec.
I mounted a Trail-Tech digital temperature gauge on mine, with a probe straight into the bleed bolt hole so I can double-check the actual temperature of the coolant.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I guess it's time that I search for my OBD device. Then I can log all the temperatures and then I will see if the temperature rises continuous or within a second. If the temperature changes i.e. from 80 to 100 with a second then I know the sensor (or sensor cable or connector) have a problem.
I moved recently and that OBD thing is in one of those boxes...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ride my Duke 390 (2017) since years in Bangkok. Normally it’s hot (30 degrees Celsius or more) and lots of traffic which means mostly stop and go and slow riding.

Until now I had no problems with the temperature. The fan is often on but it is able to keep the temperature at 4 or max 5 bars.

Today I was riding and all was normal. Then suddenly the temperature indicator was on full 8 bars and there was a warning like High Engine Temperature. The engine was running and responding normal. I rode maybe 500m more and then I parked the bike.

I waited maybe 5 minutes and switched it on again. The temperature still showed 8 bars. I started the engine and let it run for maybe 30 seconds. I wanted to see if the temperature goes down. It didn’t so I switched it off again.

Then I waited maybe 10 minutes more and I switched the bike on again. Now it showed 4 bars – normal. Then I drove the bike home, maybe 10km. This time it was slow riding but not stop and go. And when I had to stop at a red light I switched off the engine.

At one time the temperature indicator was on 5 bars but never higher.

Now I stopped the bike and later I will check the water and oil levels.

What surprised me about this is that it happened suddenly and then suddenly all seemed to be normal again. I am pretty sure the fan was running most of the time but I am so used to the fan that I can’t be 100% sure.

What is your experience with overheating? I would have expected that the bikes gets slowly hotter, maybe over 10 to 20 minutes. But I am pretty sure that is not what happened. I think it was on 4 bars as usual and then suddenly on max with the warning. Strange!

The bike has about 15,000 km, I had it for service maybe 1000km ago.
Please replace the radiator fan relay, I have the same problem. I tried to cross test the relay, but I made a serious mistake. I swapped the fuel pump relay, until one day I couldn't start the engine, I knew the radiator fan relay had intermittent failures.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I bought a new relay to replace and I am looking for a relay for the vehicle. I believe vehicle relays are more reliable.

90611057000 relay (interlock) x4 under rider seat.
Please check the location again, kinda forgot.
There is an instruction sticker on the relay socket, please take a flashlight to watch.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Font Jewellery Electronic component

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sometimes I doubt the reliability of parts used by manufacturers.
Do I need romance or reliability? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please replace the radiator fan relay, I have the same problem. I tried to cross test the relay, but I made a serious mistake. I swapped the fuel pump relay, until one day I couldn't start the engine, I knew the radiator fan relay had intermittent failures.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I bought a new relay to replace and I am looking for a relay for the vehicle. I believe vehicle relays are more reliable.

90611057000 relay (interlock) x4 under rider seat.
Please check the location again, kinda forgot.
There is an instruction sticker on the relay socket, please take a flashlight to watch.
Thanks, maybe I will replace it.
But one important information: My fan was working when I had that high temperature problem.
Since then I used the bike a couple of times and now I look more often at the temperature to be 100%sure.
After riding for a few minutes (in hot climate) the temperature gauge is on 4 bars. In city traffic the fan is running a lot but sometimes it switches off and later on again. So as far as I am concerned there is no problem with the functioning of the fan. I will continue to look at the temperature.

·
Super Moderator
2,014 Posts
Not sure where your distrust in the OEM relays comes from?
On both my 200 and 390 with both bikes well over 45.000 km I never had any issue with any of the relays.
I have also not seen anyone else having problems with these on any of the KTM forums I visit?
It seems to be a trend bashing OEM parts based on absolutely nothing.

Sometimes I doubt the reliability of parts used by manufacturers.
Do I need romance or reliability? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure where your distrust in the OEM relays comes from?
On both my 200 and 390 with both bikes well over 45.000 km I never had any issue with any of the relays.
I have also not seen anyone else having problems with these on any of the KTM forums I visit?
It seems to be a trend bashing OEM parts based on absolutely nothing.
Sorry maybe my humor offended you, I'm a vehicle mechanic and I would reasonably suspect and test any parts. Maybe I didn't have a relay problem on the vehicle repair, but I did on my 2018 Duke (11,000Km).
This occasional problem is as difficult to identify as the fan heat exhaustion, and I provide a solution for the same case, hoping to help everyone.
English is not my native language, please forgive me.
💕💕💕💕

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks, maybe I will replace it.
But one important information: My fan was working when I had that high temperature problem.
Since then I used the bike a couple of times and now I look more often at the temperature to be 100%sure.
After riding for a few minutes (in hot climate) the temperature gauge is on 4 bars. In city traffic the fan is running a lot but sometimes it switches off and later on again. So as far as I am concerned there is no problem with the functioning of the fan. I will continue to look at the temperature.
I had the same problem, so after I checked the fan, sensor, coolant and other parts I decided to interleave the test relay. After a few days when everything was perfect I had the fuel pump not working problem I immediately replaced the relay and the fuel pump worked right away.
You can interleave the test but please don't choose the fuel pump relay as it is dangerous.
I chose the fuel pump relay because I chose the one that was most convenient to swap without the confirmation function, which is obviously a bad way to go. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts