KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , Just had a go on my friend's 1290R he bought about a month ago . I did about 5 km and was happy to return it ... this thing is way too powerful ! It's actually uncomfortably over-powered IMHO , I mean coming off a 390 and on to that is just lethal . :eek:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes it’s a beast, my friend also has one.
The 690 Duke is a nice upgrade from the 390, it’s a step up in performance without being a complete headbanger.
I am happy to stay with the 390 though....it’s pretty much perfect for city riding, and not losing your license when out of town having some fun on it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
And it's so BIG.
At least where I live people buy motorcycles to be able to get through the traffic faster than a car...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I can get big motorcycles through traffic faster than a car. Smaller motorcycles aren’t always quicker through traffic than big ones (exhaust noise, headlights etc do add presence and open up gaps) but are rarely much slower and are often more fun

·
Registered
91 Posts
I dream The Beast is going to be my next babe.... is only a dream... very expensive for my wallet.
By the way the 690 or 790 is possible a step up.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think the Superduke 1290 is about 170bhp

Four times the power of the 390 Duke. I bet the front tyre lasts ages

·
Registered
201 Posts
its the size and mass of the 1290 Duke that would keep me off owning one.

The 790 Duke on the other hand is amazing.

Its unfortunately just over the engine CC to ensure in my area.

up to 750 is one rate and 751 is the same as 1100 cc bikes. Stupid, but that's how it goes.

If they made a 749 Duke, just like the 790 Duke, I'd be all over it

·
Registered
10 Posts

up to 750 is one rate and 751 is the same as 1100 cc bikes. Stupid, but that's how it goes.

How much extra money are we talking? You're ruling out owning a ton of the middleweight bikes these days since they all seem to be creeping towards 800 - 900cc. 790 Duke, Street Triple, FZ09 all come to mind. The GSR 750 might float your boat if you want to get every last cc out of the lower insurance bracket :laugh:

·
Registered
201 Posts
yep. in my area its $35-$50 a month MORE for 751-1150. IE, $75 for a 749, and $110 or so for a 751.

and yea I know. It sucks goatsack.

MT09, Duke 790, '17 and up Street Triple, VFR800, etc etc.

Bahhh

Oh and for reference the difference between a 749 and a 751 CC bike is THE COST OF ENSURING MY RC390!! Yep, I pay $42 a month for my bike.

·
Registered
489 Posts

What about the 690 Duke?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am tempted with a 1290 Duke GT, the touring version with the panniers. Local dealer has a 2017 with 2.5k miles for $14k... unfortunately it doesn’t have the nice TFT dash as my little one and which I really like... stupid, I know, but still loving it.

Other considerations are MV Augusta Turismo Veloce Lusso, or a 2018 BMW 1200 GSA in Lupin Blue, but those are again at least $5k more than the Superduke GT... aaarghhh. Gotta play the lottery...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
What about the 690 Duke?

its a single, like I have now, altho more power.

The 790 Duke is a real nice bike, plays with the big boys in that class, IE the Triumph Street triple R etc

the 690 is a nice enough bike, but its completely outclassed by those bikes.

·
Registered
418 Posts
1290 it's a pure beast but with electronics on (traction control, etc) it is....ridable for a typical rider. But if you twist a little more you right wrist... ah boy, all the **** breaks loose. It would be interesting to put a gtx2867 on it.....

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts