KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting on the side of the road waiting on a tow. I was riding and everything seemed fine, then suddenly the bike lost power and started surging and shut off. I managed to get it running again by popping the clutch and it started surging again. Limited to the side of the road and now it won't start.

The starter turns over but it doesn't sound like the engine is trying to run. Almost like I'm out of gas, but I've got half a tank. 2388 miles on her and just had a service done about two months ago.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
356 Posts
No ideas. Maybe an ecu reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes? If you have your tool kit with you.

Did you get a check engine light?

Could the spark plug cap work it’s way loose?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Fuse 4, 15 amp is for the fuel pump.

Also operate the handlebar mounted kill switch a few times

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you get it figured out?

Sorry, I was typing up a reply when the wrecker showed up and haven't had two seconds since while trying to make my way back home.

I checked the fuses before but wasn't sure which was the fuel pump. When you told me which one it was I went back in and checked it, but it looked fine. I swapped it with one of the spares and it still did the same thing.

I also thought to pay attention that time and I heard the fuel pump come on when I hit the switch.

One thing that did come back to me as I was driving home. About an hour before it died I looked down and noticed that the TFT was dead. I pulled the clutch, turned the key off, them turned it back on and it lit up and started working again. I kind of blew it off as one of the TFT bugs and figured I'd call the dealer tomorrow to discuss it. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't a symptom of an electrical issue.

The bike is now sitting at a KTM dealer in Sennaca SC. I guess we'll find out once they get a chance to look at it. I'll let you guys know something when I do.

Reactions: Mirius

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the update, it sucks to be us ;-)

With luck I hope to here back from my dealer tomorrow about my bike. I'll update my thread when I get more info on the issue.

Good luck, I hope it's an easy fix and your back on the road very soon.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm mostly just hoping it's something that is covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Maybe something as simple as a clogged fuel filter. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it turns out that Google is stupid. The dealership that I sent the bike to isn't a KTM dealer. Now I've got to figure out where to get a truck and trailer to drive 3 hours to go get it, then haul it back another 3 hours to a dealership here in Atlanta. Sadly, if I had known this, I was about 20 miles from my parents' house when it broke down and I'd have just moved it there to rest and saved the $300 tow bill.

Oh well, the saga continues, I guess.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow that sucks big time.

I don't understand why KTM does not have road side assistance in N.A. They have it in the E.U. no? correct me if I'm wrong.

I have had quite a few motorcycles, ( Bultaco, Yamaha X3 , Honda X2, Kawasaki X3) The only brand that left me on the side of the road was KTM X2

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The state of Texas is twice the size of Germany and the state of California is twice the size of the UK. That's only two of the 48 they would have to cover just to offer that in the continental US. That's why it isn't offered in NA.

I have insurance that covers a tow, but it's limited to $250 per incident and the last tow was $300. It's my own fault for just googling for a KTM dealer, but in my defense, it wasn't the best of conditions and my brain wasn't running 100%. I won't blame KTM until I find out what's wrong with the bike.

Reactions: KTMasean

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love KTM's don't get me wrong but they have serious quality control issues. Since my 1090 has been sorted its been golden.
That being said being left on the side of the road with 2000 miles on a bike in 2019, is in my opinion un-acceptable.

I hope your dealer gets you sorted out faster than mine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The state of Texas is twice the size of Germany and the state of California is twice the size of the UK. That's only two of the 48 they would have to cover just to offer that in the continental US. That's why it isn't offered in NA.

I have insurance that covers a tow, but it's limited to $250 per incident and the last tow was $300. It's my own fault for just googling for a KTM dealer, but in my defense, it wasn't the best of conditions and my brain wasn't running 100%. I won't blame KTM until I find out what's wrong with the bike.

Hey Whiskey, that's my favorite beverage BTW:)

If you have access to your bike you should check the fuel injector connection, they are known to to be improperly connected at the factory and can work there way loose.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Obviously Mad_Mardigen he should check the fuel injector connection by all means as well but riding the Dukes for 6 years and a member of all sorts of Duke forums this is the first time ever I heard about the (almost) foolproof Bosh fuel injectors and their connectors being "loose" from the factory? Where did you get this information from?

If you have access to your bike you should check the fuel injector connection, they are known to to be improperly connected at the factory and can work there way loose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Obviously Mad_Mardigen he should check the fuel injector connection by all means as well but riding the Dukes for 6 years and a member of all sorts of Duke forums this is the first time ever I heard about the (almost) foolproof Bosh fuel injectors and their connectors being "loose" from the factory? Where did you get this information from?

This is what the dealer told me was the issue with my bike.

·
Registered
356 Posts
This is what the dealer told me was the issue with my bike.
Certainly you must be lying? If it has never been heard of by one member here, it cannot be true.

Well now he has heard of everything. Well until the next issue arises that he has never heard of. Fact

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The bike is back home and safely in my garage now. I've looked through the manual but can't find any mention of the fuel injection system. Any chance you happen to know where that connector is?

When I try to start it, I hear the fuel pump and get exhaust out of the tailpipe. No weird sounds, it just sounds like there's no explosions going on in the engine. That makes me think it's starving for fuel, but since the pump is running, the injector not firing would make sense.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts