·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a feeling the Dealer is still giving lip service. Just my guess

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I got the diagnosis from the dealer that the engine is blown. They're working with KTM for a replacement. 2,388 miles on the clock. At this point, I'll be looking at selling it when I get it back and moving on. I'm not really a fan at this point.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Bike just dies alongside the road (if I remember correctly) and it’s a blown engine??? What blew??? I mean besides the dealer. No noise(s) leading up to this ‘blown’ engine?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
No noises that I noticed. Seemed to be running fine up until that point. I have no idea what exactly blew, but they said there's no compression. Won't know that until/unless they open up the engine. If the shop is busy enough, they may not even bother doing that, they may just swap it with the one KTM sends them then crate the blown one up and send it back.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got the diagnosis from the dealer that the engine is blown. They're working with KTM for a replacement. 2,388 miles on the clock. At this point, I'll be looking at selling it when I get it back and moving on. I'm not really a fan at this point.

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wow. That’s a big bummer.

No compression without any noises leads me to believe it is in the top end of the engine vs the bottom end.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
670 Posts
Dropped a valve? incorrectly adjusted exhaust valves from the factory seems to be an issue with some of these bikes.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My suspicion since there was no apparent noise with the engine giving up: burnt valve(s) and/or valve seat(s)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well, that took quite a while, but apparently she's back to running. I got a call from the shop yesterday letting me know it was ready, but I was out of town and they're closed on Sunday and Monday, so I won't be able to pick it up until Tuesday.

The guy told me when he called that they found the root cause of the top end failure. Apparently there was a small piece of plastic that got into the engine and clogged up the oil injector, which starved the top end of oil and caused the failure.

Since the engine has never been worked on it obviously came from the factory that way. I haven't seen the plastic, but he said it looked foreign, not something inside the engine that broke loose.

Chalk one up to crappy QA at the KTM factory. I'll try to get more specifics on Tuesday and share what I learn.

Reactions: varroa

·
Registered
501 Posts
Glad that’s sorted. I’m not a big fan of the sealant they’ve used between the engine cases for just this reason. I’ve seen the top end die on bikes before because someone thought that silicone was a good way to seal up the rocker cover.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For a piece of plastic to get into the oiling system it has to get by one of two screens and a filter, so it did not get into the oiling system but was probably assembled at the factory with the foreign object in place.

Glad to see they finally sorted you out.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts