KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
R6 shock is on :)
I would have ordered the bush from Formula390 if I were in the same country, but instead I had one made.
I pretty much found all the info I needed on the forums - thanks all :x So the below is mostly a repeat...
I measured the bush length from the removed KTM item - 31.82mm, and had a bush made from 17mm silver steel bar 17 x 10 x 31.82 so no additional spacers required. (If I did it again I'd risk 32.00 and just file a bit off if needed)
I noticed that the R6 shock was quite free to move side to side on the longer bush - it would probably tend to self centre in use, but I'd rather it stayed in the middle.
Solved this by putting an 18 x 4 O-ring on each side - it was tight, but a smear of grease and a little persistence and in it went, so now it's held centred and well protected.
I bent the bracket that holds the rear brake reservoir and swapped the bolt for an Allen head type as you can't access the original once you've altered the angle.

With the standard R6 spring I was able to get 12mm Static sag, and about 45mm with me on it. It's only on the 3rd notch so I've still got some more to go if I need it.
Quick 20 miles on board and I'm impressed :D I didn't ride it hard as I like to check everything is still in place after a short test, but what is immediately clear is how much more compliant it is over small bumps, drain grids etc. The original shock didn't soak up the small bumps well at all and tended to jar me in an unpleasant way.
It's already been said, but for the small cost and easy install, this upgrade really is fantastic value.
We're due some sunshine here in the coming days so hopefully a whole day out on it soon ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Has anyone fitted an R6 shock to a 2017/18 bike yet? Can it be done?
Or is the standard WP shock already better than the pre 17 ones?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Curious, why a rubber oring rather than a steel washer? Won’t the rubber break down pretty quickly or start to squeak from vibration?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Curious, why a rubber oring rather than a steel washer? Won’t the rubber break down pretty quickly or start to squeak from vibration?
The o-rings are on top of the bush and only serve to keep the shock eye central, so they aren't structural. They're touching the flat faces of the swing arm on one side, but on the shock side they are pressing against the oil seal. So something flexible works perfectly in this scenario.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Maybe a polyethylene washer is what you really need. It's flexible, very resistant to abrasion, doesn't compress much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How come it doesn't fit? Is something in the way?
This part of the R6 shock absorber touches the frame when the top bolt is inserted:

Unfortunately, it's just enough to prevent the bottom of the unit from being attached, but only just - it's that slight.
If you don't mind grinding that part of the frame (in front of the top mount), then you could get away with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a R6 shock installed in my 2017. I'm not sure if the USA exhaust is different but when I first got the shock assembly it wouldn't even fit with the stock cat and pre silencer combo. So I gave up at the time. Luckily I only paid like $40 for the used shock on Ebay.

Couple weeks after a guy was selling his slightly used decat pipe so I bought it and then the R6 shock fit for me. I didn't even notice the frame hitting the shock so went to take pics of mine just today. It's close but looks OK to me? Here's some pics.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts