KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already written about it in the long thread about crash bar options, but I wanted to make this easily searchable.

Had a low-speed lowside crash on my Duke 390 equipped with SW-Motech crash bars (Art. No.: SBL.04.539.10001/B). There are two problems with them:

1. The crash bars don't protect the engine case. The upper fairings of the motorcycle are safe, but the engine case gets a hit. See attached photo - if I didn't have KTM's engine cover sliders, I'd rip a hole through the engine case.

2. More importantly, the upper mounts of the crash bars hold onto very weak brackets welded on the frame. Basically, the bars are fastened to thin metal brackets that are only designed to hold the engine up via the black, Y-shaped struts, not to withstand lateral forces. This results in those brackets deforming even after a minor tip-over. In contrast, KTM's OEM crash bars are mounted into the piece between those two brackets, which is a noticeably larger section of tube.

Notice how much the left-side crash bar that took the hit went "into" the frame, compared to the healthy right one. Around 2 centimeters.

Up close, notice how the brackets are punched-in and how the paint is chipped where the deformation occurred (crash bars removed for clarity).

This damage is impossible to repair as those brackets are welded to the frame. The entire frame needs to be replaced, otherwise the Y-shaped engine holders have tension applied as they're being bent by the moved brackets.

Consider yourselves warned :serious: I've mailed SW-Motech about the issue, awaiting response.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike, hope you didn't get bruised up!

And thanks for sharing this information, it will come very useful for those of us in the market or who already have those in place.

Good luck with your bike and keep us updated with your update.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
You are right about the thin bracket, I had also noticed it. The frame can be welded and repaired with the engine stripped and even with the engine on (much more delicate work needed). I believe also that the engine lower case could sustain the hit. Thank God you re not hurt!

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am going through the same situation that BIG MAC describes, how I regret not having read it before... :crying:

How do you think it can be welded?

What preparations should be done before welding?

What type of welding is most appropriate to the material of the frame?

If anyone has previous experience, I appreciate you sharing it :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear that :( SW Motech received my mail and apparently forwarded it to their engineering team but it won't hurt to send another one, from another customer.

FWIW, my frame was replaced, it took several months for the new one to arrive from the factory. I now have KTMs crash bars.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to hear that :( SW Motech received my mail and apparently forwarded it to their engineering team but it won't hurt to send another one, from another customer.

FWIW, my frame was replaced, it took several months for the new one to arrive from the factory. I now have KTMs crash bars.
I'm glad you have your bike running :)

I can not wait that long without bike, that's why I first want to repair

I'm going to try to weld it with a friend of mine who has a silencer factory and has a lot of experience as a welder

The next step will be to change sliders. I also have the ignition and clutch cover protectors, are they compatible with the original slider?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think if you check the Powerparts sales pages they aren’t compatible. Not sure what the issue is.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Powerparts ignition and clutch cover protectors are not compatible with Powerparts crash bars. I've checked first hand.

They'd be redundant if they were compatible. The crash bars hang low enough to protect the engine covers.

The thing is, the cover protectors (orange sliders) would be sandwiched flush between crash bars and the covers. It's a matter of millimeters and if you really try hard, you can get both on - the mechanic that handled the insurance claim did just that, since he had both items ordered, but it required adding some spacers to make room. It was bogus, the crash bar would practically lean against the cover protector and in case of a crash it would have no room to flex. It would transfer the hit directly onto the protector, which would puncture the cover. I removed the cover protectors and left just the crash bars on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Powerparts ignition and clutch cover protectors are not compatible with Powerparts crash bars. I've checked first hand.

They'd be redundant if they were compatible. The crash bars hang low enough to protect the engine covers.

The thing is, the cover protectors (orange sliders) would be sandwiched flush between crash bars and the covers. It's a matter of millimeters and if you really try hard, you can get both on - the mechanic that handled the insurance claim did just that, since he had both items ordered, but it required adding some spacers to make room. It was bogus, the crash bar would practically lean against the cover protector and in case of a crash it would have no room to flex. It would transfer the hit directly onto the protector, which would puncture the cover. I removed the cover protectors and left just the crash bars on.
Thanks for clarification!

·
Registered
355 Posts
In the welding industry, they call welds like those ‘hanging grapes’ LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
In the welding industry, they call welds like those ‘hanging grapes’ LOL
it was my first time welding with MIG, therefore it works is more than enough :D

To deal with the relief of the weld, I added a washer of the same thickness that I previously trimmed to cover its empty space

1 - 15 of 15 Posts