KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After we all get through the 1000k(621mile) break in period on our new Dukes we are able to set the red line.

There are two settings:

Warning and Redline (I dont recall what the second one is named.)

My question is what are your settings? What do you prefer your RPM levels set at and maybe "why"?

Did you leave the factory (8k and 10k) I think or did you change it up?

Thanks to all those that participate.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Mine is on the factory settings.
I am not a red line chaser, maybe when l have done more miles l will be but the bike is fast enough in the midrange for now.
Also l have not been on any rides where l could really open the bike up, it’s been largely city and suburban riding.
Planned to get out further this year but currently on hold of course.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does it matter? If you're looking at the instruments when revving that high, your focus is in the wrong place :) These don't change your engine's rev limiter, just the blinking of the tachometer.

FWIW, left it at default

·
Registered
613 Posts
I doubt you can move the redline, that's a physical characteristic of the engine. You're probably thinking of the shift warning. I left them wherever the factory set them. I don't pay any attention to the tach, so it doesn't matter.

I have watched out of curiosity and I tend to shift around 9k, occasionally 9.5k. I push the redline as much as possible.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Piggyback ECU bumps redline to 12k. I set warning/flash both to 12k as they are sort of annoying IMO. The engine tells you when to shift - it loses power after 9k. I may have shifted at 10.5k a couple times on corner exits.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well if the engine is good for 12,000 rpm with a tuning box then there’s clearly no need to worry about hitting the standard rev limiter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes - I obviously meant "shift warning lights"

I got like 4000 miles on my Duke and mine are still factory too. I agree the sounds of the bike tells you when to shift. And the power lose after 9k...REALLY tells ya. I was just curious as we have this adjustable setting and I havent ever heard anyone discuss changing it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
You shouldn’t be going beyond 9,000 rpm with only 400 miles on the engine !!
Although that’s a whole other discussion.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Oh right l did wonder!
I’ve only exceeded 9,000 rpm a couple of times when overtaking cars, it seems to pull OK at the higher rpm.
Well, for a 390cc bike anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
The (not or) exceeding the break-in rpm's is a discussable issue also talked about in length on the forum.

·
Registered
2018 KTM DUKE 390/1980 DUCATI 900SS MHR/1979 HONDA F2 400/2016 YAMAHA MT-125/1953 BSA DBD34 GOLDSTAR
24 Posts
Jesus I’m hitting the REV limiter all the time in most gears but then I am a hooligan lol I just love hearing that bike stutter LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
My setting:
shift warning light lights up red at RPM1 ->7500 rpm for street shift gear.
shift warning light flashes red at RPM2 -> 9500 rpm for sport shift gear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was often annoyingly hitting rev limiter at 10.5. with powertronics power does not drop off untill after that. I reset it to 12,000

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ha ha. I would be going too fast on the 690. Thats why I gave up on bigger bikes, I can't control myself On 2 wheels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts