KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find a windshield that's taller or mounted higher than the Puig screen for a 2017 model Duke 390?

The Puig screen sends the wind and noise into my face shield. I developed tinnitus from COVID and am now more careful about protecting my ears from loud sounds (I always wear earplugs and a full faced helmet even before the tinnitis).

I'm looking for a taller option just for freeway travel when I use it to mini tour. I really don't want to switch to a 390 Adventure just for the windshield options.

Thanks!

Joe

· Registered
61 Posts
Joe Touratech make diffusers that fit on the top of adventure bike screens. They are like clip on wind spoilers that fit at the top of the existing screen. One might just extend the wind over your head when using the Puig screen. Check ebay for pre owned ones, thats how I got mine.

Here is one on ebay uk

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe Touratech make diffusers that fit on the top of adventure bike screens. They are like clip on wind spoilers that fit at the top of the existing screen. One might just extend the wind over your head when using the Puig screen. Check ebay for pre owned ones, thats how I got mine.

Here is one on ebay uk
I tried one of those and it still didn't seem high enough. Thanks, though!

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used the Puig Bat screen on my Duke 200. Top rated speed is 80 MPH though, a big caveat for some. Works great for me, and I'm just a hair under 6 feet.

View attachment 55858
I used the Puig Bat screen on my Duke 200. Top rated speed is 80 MPH though, a big caveat for some. Works great for me, and I'm just a hair under 6 feet.

View attachment 55858
Nice! I wonder how that would fit over the TFT display on the 2017 Duke 390...🤔

I'm assuming you have to look through it, as it's pretty tall.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, you might consider the Barracuda screen, which may not have better coverage than the PUIG, but does have better looks and a different profile:

It's also specific to the bike, like the PUIG.
I was looking at that too. I hate that the Puig sends the wind and noise directly into my faceshield. It might actually be better if it was a bit lower as long as it doesn't want to lift the helmet up.

· Registered
Duke 200
14 Posts
Nice! I wonder how that would fit over the TFT display on the 2017 Duke 390...🤔

I'm assuming you have to look through it, as it's pretty tall.
I think it would fit over the TFT, based on memory of the shape. Here's a photo of it over the 200's dash:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

The photo makes it look bigger than it is. Remember that the 200 sits lower than the 390 by an inch or two. I think you'd need to be shorter than 5'2" to have to peer through it. Even though my neck and shoulders are clear of the screen, I don't get any wind at all. The screen just pushes the wind out of the way.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it would fit over the TFT, based on memory of the shape. Here's a photo of it over the 200's dash:

View attachment 55899

The photo makes it look bigger than it is. Remember that the 200 sits lower than the 390 by an inch or two. I think you'd need to be shorter than 5'2" to have to peer through it. Even though my neck and shoulders are clear of the screen, I don't get any wind at all. The screen just pushes the wind out of the way.
That's great to know. I'm 5'5" with I think about a 29" inseam or so. Last year I developed constant, moderate tinnitus after having COVID and then having my right ear flushed for wax 3 weeks later, so I'm trying to protect my hearing, just to make sure it doesn't get worse. I don't mind riding my Duke 390 without a windshield, but sometimes I do freeway rides for like an hour or so and it's not comfortable at all. I always wear a full face helmet and have ear plugs, but if I put the PUIG screen on, all the wind noise goes right to my face shield and it's way too loud. Not to mention, the bugs.

If I can look over it, I'd probably go for the light or dark smoked version.

I'd like something like this that I could use if I'm planning to ride several hours on the freeway to get to the twisty roads. Then, I could take it off if I wanted. How long did it take to install?

Thanks for the info!

· Registered
Duke 200
14 Posts
How long did it take to install?
Took about an hour to install, but really, it's a 10 minute job. Since it's a universal fit, there's a lot of tinkering involved. Once you have the bar clamps installed, removal and installation will be a cinch, less than 5 minutes. Regarding the bar clamps, I had to use electrical tape to compensate for the taper in the bar. The clamps expect a fixed diameter. Also, I put some weather stripping along the lower edges in order to mitigate any vibration/scratching of the turn signal stalks.

Here's a clown shot of me on the 200. I look like a bear on a minibike.

Sky Cloud Wheel Tire Land vehicle

By the way, one of the reasons I went with this screen is aesthetics. They don't mention it any longer on the product page, but this screen was originally designed for the Duke 690. It's a natural look for the 390.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took about an hour to install, but really, it's a 10 minute job. Since it's a universal fit, there's a lot of tinkering involved. Once you have the bar clamps installed, removal and installation will be a cinch, less than 5 minutes. Regarding the bar clamps, I had to use electrical tape to compensate for the taper in the bar. The clamps expect a fixed diameter. Also, I put some weather stripping along the lower edges in order to mitigate any vibration/scratching of the turn signal stalks.

Here's a clown shot of me on the 200. I look like a bear on a minibike.

View attachment 55901

By the way, one of the reasons I went with this screen is aesthetics. They don't mention it any longer on the product page, but this screen was originally designed for the Duke 690. It's a natural look for the 390.

I like this picture. From this angle, it doesn't look too tall. That's funny about it previously listing the 690, because when I'm on the Amazon page for this, it lists that it "Doesn't fit your KTM Duke 390", yet it's universal. This is me on my 390, before I ended up changing the panels to silver...

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Plant
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
Duke 200
14 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

· Registered
Duke 200
14 Posts
Crap, I just realized that the mounts for my handguards are at about the same location as the windshield mounting points.
Yeah, by the looks of it, a handlebar mounted windscreen is a non-starter for you. Back to the drawing board.

Here's another option: MRA Motorcycle Windshield | KTM 390 Duke '17-'21 | NSPM Sport Screen

Also, there is this option KTM Duke 390, KTM Duke 125 2017 2018 Duke Carbon Fibre Screen bracket Version 3 | GordyHand.co.uk for adapting 2016 and prior Duke 390 windscreens to the modern 390. That opens your options up a bit.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, by the looks of it, a handlebar mounted windscreen is a non-starter for you. Back to the drawing board.

Here's another option: MRA Motorcycle Windshield | KTM 390 Duke '17-'21 | NSPM Sport Screen

Also, there is this option KTM Duke 390, KTM Duke 125 2017 2018 Duke Carbon Fibre Screen bracket Version 3 | GordyHand.co.uk for adapting 2016 and prior Duke 390 windscreens to the modern 390. That opens your options up a bit.
It could just end up being a tradeoff. I could see sacrificing some wind protection on my hands if this Puig Bat screen is tall enough to send the wind over my head for long, highway touring. I imagine that where it's mounted, it HAS to be higher than the regular Puig windscreen for the 2017+ Duke 390, even if the screen itself is the same size. The Bat one also has a flat contour at the top, instead of the pointed one of the other Puig shown below.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

· Registered
Duke 200
14 Posts
I haven't been able to find any online photos of the Puig Bat installed on a 2017+ Duke 390. I did find a Chinese knock-off in my search though. Might be something to consider: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802869838148.html

Not sure I would trust the mounting hardware, compared to the real deal, but if my screen ever shatters, I might consider one of these as a replacement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts