KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Pretty easy....sorta.
Start with the seats, under riders seat there is 2 sets to take off, the screws holding the middle (white) strip down and the 2 bolts the seat slides into.
Take the screws out from the rear side shrouds so its loose enough to jiggle out from behind them, be careful as they have plastic arms to keep them lined up. Getting the tank shroud to seperate from here is one of the harder parts and I usually take these off. Its longer but easier when going back together.
Theres 2 long bolts that are sitting in front underneath the handlebar area, cant miss em. Then you will take 3 bolts off from the fuel cap surround, open it and you can see which ones. Roughly 12-4-7 o'clock positions.
Then unscrew the coolant cap and it will slide off, a little forward and up montion helps it slide off easier. There are rubbers keeping the shroud centered so these can feel like its jammed but it will come up with some gentle persuasion.
Putting it back on just follow the step, dont forget to slide the overflow fuel hose back in its little holder inside the left hand tank shroud and do the front long bolts first that go in near the handlebar area. These will be a pain and require a little pressure to push themselves back into the holes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The workshop manual recommends using 40mm long studs in place of the fuel filler screws in order to avoid damage to the plastics and keep everything square. It suggests making these by cutting the heads off M5 screws.

I haven't tried it myself yet though.

·
Registered
573 Posts
don't remove unless u really needed to remove because mine .. the gas tank screw holes do not aligned with the chassis ... need someone to push and another aiming the bloody screw holes ... it's a pain in the as ... i open it twice and i has the same prob ..

·
Registered
131 Posts
don't remove unless u really needed to remove because mine .. the gas tank screw holes do not aligned with the chassis ... need someone to push and another aiming the bloody screw holes ... it's a pain in the as ... i open it twice and i has the same prob ..
That explains why the studs are needed then.

·
Registered
817 Posts
? Your holding your tongue on the wrong side then, hang it out the right side and it might make it easier :p

Seriouly but you shouldnt be having any problems, the only P.I.A part is putting the very front bolts back in near the triple clamp. All you need for them is a socket extender bar and a little angle with a push. In the 5 times Ive taken mine off Ive never had any issues with the fuel ring or bolts.

Quick tip: tighten nothing until every bolt is in place ready to be locked down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i'm sorry, I did not understand very well the procedure for removing the reservoir, who would be so kind as to explain step by step with pictures maybe the procedure? thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
This morning I went and nothing I tried to remove the tank cover and there I made a short guide with pictures for those who you would like to

·
Registered
15 Posts
1) Remove the driver seat

2) Remove the 3 screws on the side panel (3 screws per side) Figure 1

3) Remove the 2 screws and the two screws A B fig 2

4) Remove the 2 screws near the handle (to reassemble from these 2)
Figure 3

5) Remove cap and remove the coolant reservoir cap (3 screws)

6) Remove the tank cover accompanying the 2 side panels of Figure 1 and accompanying tube overflow of gasoline

sorry for my english, I rely on google translator

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bro can you also tell me how to remove head light colour part with signal light attached cause I want to paint that part ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bro I would like to know is that easy to remove the upper tank cover without removing the tank ... i need to paint the upper cover ... urgent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts