KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a 2010 Non-R Street Triple. Brakes at speed were marginal, rotor shudder mostly coming off triple digits hard. Back shock totally inadequate if not downright dangerous, mid corner bumps scary, terrible seat. Nice engine but not as nice as the FZ-09, not as much bottom to mid-range grunt. Nothing wrong with the FZ that a 10wt fork oil change, calibrated springs and the FJ 09 shock (for under $300 new retail) can't fix for 90% of street use, IMO. The price difference between the R-Triple and the FZ doesn't make sense, I feel, and the 30% difference in torque curves between the 2 motors would take some serious $$ to overcome. IF you want a hard core track bike a beefed up FZ still less $$ even after major suspension upgrades and still has greater power on tap, especially coming hard out of corners.

Personally for me, when Triumph ditched the twin can exhaust they killed the looks of the bike. The media comparisons between the Triumph and the FZ were always based on the R-spec Triumph, never the base model that I'm aware of, and obviously not a fair comparison.

Pete
Yeah... the fz is a WAY better looking bike than the Triumph. Never understood that headlight set up. Ruins the whole flow of the front end IMO. Love the single light on the FZs and our dukes! So many bikes, so hard to choose. Don't know what's harder, choosing what bike to buy, or convincing the wife that it make sense to buy another, haha

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a bit of a reputation, for not keeping bikes.

My son turns 7 years old in a few weeks, when the wife was in hospital giving birth I told her as I was giving her a child she must let me bbuy a 2005 Yamaha R1... she agreed on the proviso I keep it for 5 years... I thought her terms were fair...

In the last 7 years now, I've had about 50 bikes :) oops.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Weeksy, I think we both married well....

Pete
I'll get in on this list, then. After I was hit by an 18-wheeler on a road trip to Deals Gap (why do trucks get on that road?) on my 883 Sportster, my wife (then my girlfriend) borrowed her brother's van and drove 800 miles straight through from Florida to be with me in the hospital. She got two speeding tickets on the way. When she finally got to my room in the middle of the night the first thing she said to me, after "Thank god it didn't mess up your face", was "What kind of bike are you getting to replace that one?"

More recently, I went to pick her up from work and asked her if she wanted to see the 390 at the dealership nearby. When we got there, she looked at me and said "If that's what you want, we can afford it, so get it." I rode out of the dealership that afternoon.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Yep, you got a keeper Hank.

Last summer I called my Yamaha dealer about the FZ 09 and when we were loading up to head over my wife smiled and asked "Are you going to bring your gear ?"

Sometimes we get lucky....

Pete : )

·
Registered
916 Posts
I do not understand the Harley culture at all. I also do not understand why American Harley riders do not wave to me.
Because you are not "one of them".
Don't try to understand. You'll see eventually..

21 - 27 of 27 Posts