KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Folks,

I've only had my Duke about a week, and I haven't had this problem (yet?). But I was wondering if there is room inside the display for a small pack of silica gel? I had the same problem on a K100RS years ago, and a bag of SG inside the display solved the problem for the duration of my ownership. Several years, in fact. Just a thought.

Cheers!
Craig

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Folks,

I've only had my Duke about a week, and I haven't had this problem (yet?). But I was wondering if there is room inside the display for a small pack of silica gel? I had the same problem on a K100RS years ago, and a bag of SG inside the display solved the problem for the duration of my ownership. Several years, in fact. Just a thought.

Cheers!
Craig

There is but I wouldn't recommend opening it up unless it's outside warranty.

35 Posts
Well 1 year old and on its 3rd TFT if this one does not last it will be good bye to the KTM shame as I love the bike but no good if the TFT won't last more than a few month, after speaking with a KTM mechanic it looks like the whole range suffers constant issues with the TFT with the 1290 being worst of them so don't think I'll have another KTM unfortunately :(

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Such a shame. I am praying mine doesn’t get plagued with this problem. Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 Posts
Everything else on the bike has been fantastic but I just don't want to be stuck paying to have a know issue fixed when KTM obviously know there is a huge problem with them when the warranty expires to be honest I think they should pull the bikes from sale untill they can sort out the issue as when the TFT goes off and your riding it's surely a safety issue?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hmmm

As an electronics engineer l would be looking at a solution myself, l have not actually examined the unit on my bike yet, but will have a look, water is clearly getting in somewhere.

I wonder if a carefully applied silicone seal around the edges of the display may cure the problem.

It’s probably getting in through the seal and KTM are clearly just replacing the part with no effort made to rectify the design fault.

35 Posts
You can take them apart, the issue from what I can see is the rear of the clocks have small holes behind the plastic circles to let out the heat from the display unfortunately they also let in moisture and as the screen heats up the moisture evaporates and it's only path is into the front that has no ventilation and so condenses on the Perspex cover this then builds up over time untill you have water running down the inside of the screen, it's not just the condensation that's the issue it's when the back light goes out when riding the bike I'm sure it's a software issue as the led headlight had the same issue when they where released back in 2017, the software for the KTM my ride is also riddled with issues to the point where if you install it, it will just drain the battery on you phone shame as it is useful for answering the phone and playing music, as said the bike is mechanically sound but KTM just can't seem to get the software right at all. I still love the bike but can't see me keeping it when the warranty is up as I won't even be able to see the bike without a working TFT and the £900 ish price of getting it replaced is crazy when KTM must know it's a design/software fault.

·
Registered
711 Posts
£900 good grief that is going to effectively write off an older bike.

And an extortionate price when you think that you can buy a smartphone for £150.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
You can take them apart, the issue from what I can see is the rear of the clocks have small holes behind the plastic circles to let out the heat from the display unfortunately they also let in moisture and as the screen heats up the moisture evaporates and it's only path is into the front that has no ventilation and so condenses on the Perspex cover this then builds up over time untill you have water running down the inside of the screen, it's not just the condensation that's the issue it's when the back light goes out when riding the bike I'm sure it's a software issue as the led headlight had the same issue when they where released back in 2017, the software for the KTM my ride is also riddled with issues to the point where if you install it, it will just drain the battery on you phone shame as it is useful for answering the phone and playing music, as said the bike is mechanically sound but KTM just can't seem to get the software right at all. I still love the bike but can't see me keeping it when the warranty is up as I won't even be able to see the bike without a working TFT and the £900 ish price of getting it replaced is crazy when KTM must know it's a design/software fault.

I started this thread and as much as I loved the way this bike rode (it was one of the best riding bikes I ever owned), it had too many small quirks/issues for my liking. I just didn't quite trust the bike That combined with the fact a co-worker creamed a biker recently and blamed him because "motorcycles are the devil's on the road" I decided to sell it and steer myself more towards the off road motorcycle life.

The TFT really is the worst part about the 2nd generation Duke.

Shame really but can't see myself going orange ever again after my experience with the bike (and the dealership).

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
I haven’t had any issues or “quirks” with my Duke 390.
I’m surprised at how well made it appears to be, considering that it’s a budget bike.

Time will tell, l’ve been out in the rain on the bike and that didn’t seem to cause any problems.

Maybe you just got a bad one

·
Registered
592 Posts
Most of the issues that I've had have been with the TFT screen, but it is a first gen, so I kind of expected it. I haven't had any serious issues, just the standard nuisance ones. The main thing is the rainbow colors when the tach hits the redline indication, but when I first got it I occasionally had the issue where the TFT would reboot while riding it. I haven't had the reboot in quite some time, so I'm guessing it was fixed in a firmware upgrade. As for water in the screen, I haven't had that issue, but admittedly I avoid riding in the rain, so that may just be a non-issue for me.

35 Posts
My last one had v5 42 and still started up without the backlight a few times :( hope the new one is better it's the 3rd TFT counting the original this one has a slight blue tint to it that the others didn't have.

·
Registered
78 Posts
KTM have an issue with these full stop. I for one, am worried that its going to be a problem out of warranty, Im on my 3rd screen and my warranty runs out in September. Does anyone know the UK legal position I should adopt with KTM through my dealer. My screen is still getting condensation on cold mornings in both top corners.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
KTM have an issue with these full stop. I for one, am worried that its going to be a problem out of warranty, Im on my 3rd screen and my warranty runs out in September. Does anyone know the UK legal position I should adopt with KTM through my dealer. My screen is still getting condensation on cold mornings in both top corners.
On my third screen now also. Done under warranty which is now finished. This screen does differ I think, but i might be mistaken. It seems to be holding up so far. Just washed bike for first time today with new screen and so far so good.

Although there are a few issues with KTM, I decided to go for another and bought a 1090 adventure. I have good experience with the brand so far. If I was to get rid of the 390 it would definitely be for another KTM. I cannot find another bike brand that ticks all the boxes I am looking for. I have been a Honda and Yamaha owner for years but i feel they are way behind KTM in producing bikes for my area of the market which is adventure riding.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts