KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been reading many topics about it but none of them get usefull for me and not fix the issue. I'm in a desperate situation and KTM doesn't give me an satisfaction answer netither solution althought the bike is in warranty period yet...

The issues is like is typed in the title, here you can find my problem.
Is a KTM 390 duke from 2019 with Original Akrapovic exhaust. No more extras.

The bike is right now in ktm official workshop from long 5 month back.... and I don't get nothing from the mechanic... and nothing form KTM brand...

I appreciate each answer, I will read carefully and if I can do something, I will do.

·
Registered
665 Posts
It would help if we could see a close up of the screen when it was doing that. From the sound it seemed like high gear and low revs as you slowed down. But maybe the low revs were from the engine shutting down. Mostly guessing from the sound and shots of the scenery.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Your bike dies way too much! I thought it may be that you are in too high of gear and lugging the engine some but it seems as if it dies when you are clutching it in?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm not sure if my bike does that, because I never coast. My rear wheel is always engaged, except when coming to a complete stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would help if we could see a close up of the screen when it was doing that. From the sound it seemed like high gear and low revs as you slowed down. But maybe the low revs were from the engine shutting down. Mostly guessing from the sound and shots of the scenery.
I guess you didn't watch the full video, that's right, at the beggining not appear full screen, if you can take a look, from the middel to the end you can get better view of the screen and my hand picking-up the cluthch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your bike dies way too much! I thought it may be that you are in too high of gear and lugging the engine some but it seems as if it dies when you are clutching it in?
That's it, but alway when I downshifting and in low revs, when revs come down around 2.500 or else and I pick up the clutch the engine die... I have thought in a sensor or something but in the mechanic told me that they disabled all of them and still happening...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure if my bike does that, because I never coast. My rear wheel is always engaged, except when coming to a complete stop.
yes but... when you need stop you have to pick up the clutch, in another case the engine will stop... anyway I can keep the rear wheel engaged but I need to change of gear to up or down... and happen when I down and as I said in low revs, of course, I have tried GAS PUSH before change to increase the revs but happen...

·
Registered
123 Posts
In my experience, I found that the clutch safety switch is also tied into the ECU somehow and drastically changes engine parameter(s). As an experiment, I removed the switch assembly from the clutch handle, taped the switch in the "clutch engaged" position, and went for a ride. The engine ran horrible, popping and sputtering, and indeed always wanted to stall. I have since been riding with the switch assembly just dangling there, and taped to the "clutch disengaged" position. It runs so much better and rarely stalls now, although I've lost the ability to crank the bike when in gear. It's an easy experiment, and I'd be interested to know if that is also your problem.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I guess you didn't watch the full video, that's right, at the beggining not appear full screen, if you can take a look, from the middel to the end you can get better view of the screen and my hand picking-up the cluthch
I guess I did watch the whole video. I suggest that you record the screen not your journey because I can’t see the screen well enough to see what’s it’s saying.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Replacing the clutch safety switch would be a real easy task and not very expensive (under 6 dollars US). KTM 90511049000 - CLUTCH SWITCH : Babbitts Online

it seems as if your engine does once you touch your clutch lever. May be worth ordering and replacing the switch just to see if things change. Forget what the mechanic says.

Reactions: Mirius

·
Registered
665 Posts
OK, rewatched on a much bigger screen, so I should watch my big mouth before commenting... Apologies for that - you were right

I agree with Whyzee that it often seems to happen when you are changing gear. But if it's the clutch switch why would it suddenly work normally ten seconds later when you clutch in to restart bike, and why not at other times you use the clutch?

My thoughts are still the same, when you do restart you are having to slip the clutch to get the bike rolling again even though you have changed down and not lost much speed, when you do the engine still lugs badly despite the lower gear.

2:02 The bike stalled at 20 kph (12mph) in third gear? You should be in first. I suspect the mechanics can't find anything wrong because there is nothing wrong. Try changing down earlier as you approach a stop point and see if the problem goes away. From your video it seems to stall in third 20kph to 25 kph (12mph to 15mph).

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts
lorensan,

I have the same idea as Marius in that you ride the bike in too high a gear and too low rev's. This is a relatively high revving engine, try shifting down before needing to brake.
The engine should still not be stalling, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, rewatched on a much bigger screen, so I should watch my big mouth before commenting... Apologies for that - you were right

I agree with Whyzee that it often seems to happen when you are changing gear. But if it's the clutch switch why would it suddenly work normally ten seconds later when you clutch in to restart bike, and why not at other times you use the clutch?

My thoughts are still the same, when you do restart you are having to slip the clutch to get the bike rolling again even though you have changed down and not lost much speed, when you do the engine still lugs badly despite the lower gear.

2:02 The bike stalled at 20 kph (12mph) in third gear? You should be in first. I suspect the mechanics can't find anything wrong because there is nothing wrong. Try changing down earlier as you approach a stop point and see if the problem goes away. From your video it seems to stall in third 20kph to 25 kph (12mph to 15mph).
It doesn't matter, I appreciate your comment!

Well... In fact... it can be sense... If I downshift the gear in low revs, as be single-cylindre the revs come down faster, and my way to drive is wait to low revs before to pick up the clutch instead of break with the gear...

I will try that and I will record but I'm still thinking althought the revs come down and the gear is higher, the gear don't must stop, the gear should be idling, right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lorensan,

I have the same idea as Marius in that you ride the bike in too high a gear and too low rev's. This is a relatively high revving engine, try shifting down before needing to brake.
The engine should still not be stalling, though.
Yes, probably, I just told the same to Mirius, I will change the behaviour when I drive it, but I keep that, the gear should not stall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your video is no longer available, but it sounds like I've been having the same issue. since i cant see your vid ill just describe what happens to me, every ride now, when i clutch in at around 3rd or 4th gear to downshift, my engine will randomly cut out once in a while... most of the time its no problem as im just stopping at a light, but one time i was downshifting to pass a bus and it stalled on me, which was quite worrysome.

i reckon its to do with the clutch safety switch. I swapped out my clutch levers with an aftermarket one, and not knowing there was a switch there, i yanked out the clutch and broke off the switch. Im gonna look into this and maybe buy a replacement switch and report back.

·
Registered
487 Posts
No maybe about it, replace the switch you broke off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts