KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unfortunately it direct air straight under your helmet and creates much more wind noise, even at 55 mph.

But I have the solution - fit both screens:-

Noise is now back to normal.

I used very small screws ( 2BA I think) and rubber washer back and front and with fibre washers between the two screens.

In case you are wondering the orange vinyl is largely for safety reasons. This bike is not very conspicuous from the front even though its highly conspicuous from every other angle!

The other attached image shows mirror extension on the right hand mirror - works really well. Also note the bar end weights which are light alloy but don't produce any undue vibration although I haven't tested much above 7000 r.p.m.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not quite sure about the orange part. I think it would look better if there were some black and white in it too so that it matched better with the rest of the livery. Do you find that it works well keeping the wind out of your face while you're riding?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Showing plenty of bright colour at the front of the machine is purely to reduce the chances of cars pulling out in front of you or not seeing you in their mirrors before changing lanes. Dare I say that I don't find the Duke particularly aesthetically pleasing so I don't worry too much about making it worse.

I think the pair of screens together do deflect some pressure but I don't know how much. Maybe when the running in period is complete I'll have more to report.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Good luck with the modifying, its the best part of owning bikes. Im not a fan of the PUIG screens looks but out of all of them I reckon it would probably work the best.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Showing plenty of bright colour at the front of the machine is purely to reduce the chances of cars pulling out in front of you or not seeing you in their mirrors before changing lanes. Dare I say that I don't find the Duke particularly aesthetically pleasing so I don't worry too much about making it worse.

I think the pair of screens together do deflect some pressure but I don't know how much. Maybe when the running in period is complete I'll have more to report.
You don't like the look of the Duke!? That's too bad. I can understand what you mean about not caring much about making it any uglier. If you really want to make sure that no cars hit you, you could put some reflective tape on the front fairing as well.

Good job on the whole though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
what fairing :D;)

Not bad, if you want to see ugly check out this madstad shield for the Duke's. Functionally its a rockstar, its a positive pressure system which allows air to flow under and up which then caries what comes off the front of the creen up and over your head. A perfect aero bubble if you will.

But it really is ugly as virtue...

·
Registered
817 Posts
That screen set up always freaks me out, imagine going over the handlebars? The two slivers of metal would act like knives as you go over, Phil might be able to imagine it :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yea that wind screen is pretty ugly. Would it also be bad for aerodynamics considering its so tall and flat?

There must be an option that is both functional and stylish.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yea that wind screen is pretty ugly. Would it also be bad for aerodynamics considering its so tall and flat?

There must be an option that is both functional and stylish.
as i said before its a positive pressure system that allows the air to flow on both sides, so really not much aero drawbacks. Besides whats worse a screen redirecting airflow up and over the rider, or the rider acting as a parachute?

·
Registered
100 Posts
what fairing :D;)

Not bad, if you want to see ugly check out this madstad shield for the Duke's. Functionally its a rockstar, its a positive pressure system which allows air to flow under and up which then caries what comes off the front of the creen up and over your head. A perfect aero bubble if you will.

But it really is ugly as virtue...
What's the length of that screen top to bottom? I had something as tall planned for mine, looking up Madstad :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
screen over screen

I think Mr. Roadster's genius mod deserves more acclaim.

Tried to do the same when my AliExpress screen arrived,
just for the weird factor. But now, I don't think it looks bad, after all.

Used plastic screws, plastic nuts and a drop of wood glue on the threads.

Top case is Kappa 47 something,
Ugly handguards are Acerbis something,
Mirrors are TVS Apache mirrors.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts