KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

The reduced Ground Clearance in 2020 D390 is hurting the bike...

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  2019dukebringsmejoy 
#1 ·
Just got the 2020 Silver Duke 390 a couple of months back, its quite a fun ride but the reduced Ground Clearance in 2020 D390 is hurting the bike...
But since in these new ones they had the exhaust system route from beneath the belly (GC reduced to 150 mm) it scrapes/bangs on every speed-breaker it approaches. Due to the feat of loosing the warranty, exhaust setup can't be modified and the every now-n-then THUD sound from the belly-bang is frustrating... Tried keeping the rear Preload at max but it hardly helped, any help / suggestions would be of great help!
Thank you!

#2 ·
Interesting, did not know about the header re-routing. Almost all "2020" Duke 390 pics google returns are the same stock photos from 2017 onward. Even the reviews don't mention this. Is U.S. getting new old stock and they're calling them 2020s? Also looks like the seat height is about 25mm lower. Among other things. Can you post pics?

#5 · (Edited)
I cannot find one anywhere, we definitely need to see this. OP, please show us what you are speaking of.

EDIT: found a video that shows it kind of, at least it shows that the mid pipe is no longer routed through the frame by the rear shock. Really like the new color scheme!

And another showing the header pipe going down instead of through the frame:

#10 ·
Breakdown of the BS standards, no pun intended!
I guess what's odd to me with all this, KTM is Austrian... targeting the Indian market, big time. KTM-specific engineering isn't happening in just Austria. Pardon me for a newb to KTM, but that brand always said dirt bike to me. And it's great that there is KTM factory racing in MotoGP as well. Just trying to understand the dichotomy here, and what that implies with the rest of the bike lineup, and more generally, how KTM is steering the company. Interesting to follow.

#12 ·
I’ve heard it’s claimed to be due to heat but it does have the advantage of not having the dent in the header. I’m still unclear why KTM are unable to redesign the header so they don’t need to hit it with a hammer during production when Tyga manage it perfectly well.

#13 ·
lt would be nice to fit an under engine exhaust to the Gen 2 390 Duke, and ditch the weedy looking side mounted pipe.
Has anybody tried removing the side mounted pipe and just running with the CAT? l
imagine noise levels would be too high.

Does anybody sell an under engine type exhaust for the Gen 2?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.