KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

**** from Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon Vietnam) here, Looking at getting a bigger bike this year (Vietnam are lifting restrictions on getting an unrestricted license in March 2014), I have looked at the 390 and 690, still can't decide if I really need the extra power of the 690, as the roads are really crowded here, also the cost of 690 is double:(
I currently ride a heavily modified Yamaha 135LC (Exciter in Vietnam), now puts out an estimated 25+HP, not bad for a bike that weighs less than 100kg:D
Only problem is it struggles when I ride with a pillion, just wondering how the 390 goes with 190-200kg on it??

·
Registered
264 Posts
390 will be fine in VN. The 690 is overkill in my opinion. The 390 will handle a pillion ok. I've spent a lot of time in VN so I know what you're facing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think for where you live that the 390 should be fine. I just can't see you getting the chance to really use all of the power that the 690 has. Better save the money in that case. If you think you'll get a chance to use everything the 690 has to offer than I say go for it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The 390 will already be a very nice upgrade from you 135 in terms of power.

With that said. The 690 will be nicer

Will you be able to use all that extra power? NO. Most of the time no...

But that 1 or 2 times where you can use the power - it will be nice

It does cost double and that is a factor you need to consider

It is a want vs need game. Though noone needs to upgrade to a 390.. but lets just say you do.. :)

Best of luck and let us know which one you go with.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Being able to use that power is true. Some people just dont' live in areas with the type of road to really push a bike or even a car to it's full potential.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Consider the heat issue, its all good when your rolling at a half decent pace but if your sitting more than rolling in the heat then your gonna bake. My traffic area's arnt as bad as some you guys face but if they were Id be seriously looking at getting it fixed or another bike. Pyscho noted at xbhp that since the PowerTRONIC was installed the heat has dropped to half way curiously.
Other than the warm factor you really couldnt get a better bike than the 390, I can have it rolling at 2 to 4km/h and it stays dead straight and is super easy to balance when stopped, its nimble and lane splits like a champion, it will eat most cars and a fair few bikes off the lights.......and its pretty fun on the back wheel or laying on No.4 tyre marker.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Consider the heat issue, its all good when your rolling at a half decent pace but if your sitting more than rolling in the heat then your gonna bake. .
As far as I've heard the 690 also bakes the family jewels as much or even worse than the D390 at traffic lights.

One more thing to think about, specially if you want the bike for daily use.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
As far as I've heard the 690 also bakes the family jewels as much or even worse than the D390 at traffic lights.

One more thing to think about, specially if you want the bike for daily use.
Definitely something to consider especially if you have long distance rides to do .

·
Registered
209 Posts
Consider the heat issue, its all good when your rolling at a half decent pace but if your sitting more than rolling in the heat then your gonna bake. My traffic area's arnt as bad as some you guys face but if they were Id be seriously looking at getting it fixed or another bike. Pyscho noted at xbhp that since the PowerTRONIC was installed the heat has dropped to half way curiously.
Other than the warm factor you really couldnt get a better bike than the 390, I can have it rolling at 2 to 4km/h and it stays dead straight and is super easy to balance when stopped, its nimble and lane splits like a champion, it will eat most cars and a fair few bikes off the lights.......and its pretty fun on the back wheel or laying on No.4 tyre marker.
The heating legs issue would be worse in the D690 according to a review I read short ago. Specially if it's intended to be your daily conmuter. The power gain in the D690 doesn't outweight all the financial benefits of having a smaller displacement bike (the cost of the bike itself, insurance, maintenance, consumables, and re-sale depreciation)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The heating legs issue would be worse in the D690 according to a review I read short ago. Specially if it's intended to be your daily conmuter. The power gain in the D690 doesn't outweight all the financial benefits of having a smaller displacement bike (the cost of the bike itself, insurance, maintenance, consumables, and re-sale depreciation)
Very good points, they all add up quick enough that it makes the end cost of owning it something to highly consider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dan1,

Mind telling us what a PowerTRONIC is? I googled it, but can't seem to find anything applicable. I wondered if it might be like a Power Commander?

·
Registered
264 Posts
**** - I rode D690 in Singapore the other day. I can't say I'd recommend the D690 over the D390 for HCMC (and I've ridden there). It's a lot more effort in traffic, geared a lot higher, not an 'instinctive' ride like theD390. A few D690 guys here are already swapping down to the D690 or going up to the 1190 super bike so there's a few for sale here now whereas you never saw them for sale previously secondhand.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Welcome **** HCM ! been to HCM and Hanoi ... a 390 fits u perfectly ... 690 is overkill ... but if u have the height and budget ... why not ... as per Asiaoildude mentioned, the handling of 390 is muct better then 690 and i have ridden 690 for several occasion ... and im 176cm , i still prefer the nimble 390, i can bend further and more control in sticky situation in high traffic area ... 390 kick asses !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts