KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've riden dirt bikes was raised on 3 and 4 wheelers. But been watching videos on the duke 390. Just looking for something to ride when weather is decent here in oregon and short road trips to beach and such. Any recommendations?
Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes the 390 will be ideal, just needs a 'Rapid Bike Easy' so it runs smoothly at low revs.

The Duke doesn't like motorway/dual carriageway speeds, it's certainly fast enough but starts to red line at 70mph, other than that it's great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes the 390 will be ideal, just needs a 'Rapid Bike Easy' so it runs smoothly at low revs.

The Duke doesn't like motorway/dual carriageway speeds, it's certainly fast enough but starts to red line at 70mph, other than that it's great.
I agree that the RapidBike Easy is the ticket to having the Duke 390 run smoothly at lower RPM's.

It shouldn't redline until above 100 MPH: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTM_3...cycle Consumer News tested the,/h (91.88 mph). Also, an engine doesn't 'start to redline', there's a specific redline RPM set by the manufacturer, either it's below the redline or it's above it (although it should never actually be above it as the rev limiter should cut in and stop it from exceeding the redline.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I grew up on off road motorcycles also and just picked up a 390 duke as my first dedicated street bike. Still have my 450 EXC-F sixdays for winter rides in the gravel. The 390 is pretty fun although I have stop myself from sticking a foot down while cornering;) Did a trip to Tillamook last weekend had no problems keeping up with traffic on HWY 6 returning home, and it's actually fairly comfortable. Lot of great roads for a small bike in Western Oregon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I grew up on off road motorcycles also and just picked up a 390 duke as my first dedicated street bike. Still have my 450 EXC-F sixdays for winter rides in the gravel. The 390 is pretty fun although I have stop myself from sticking a foot down while cornering;) Did a trip to Tillamook last weekend had no problems keeping up with traffic on HWY 6 returning home, and it's actually fairly comfortable. Lot of great roads for a small bike in Western Oregon.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The 390 duke is awesome only needs a large wind shield and a rear top box if you plan going on highways and travels. Sharp, lightweight and fast will be the best for city commuter also. I had duke but now got the 390 adventure since I couldn't afford both a street bike and an Enduro.

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
Please allow me to post my opinion:
If there is ANYTHING (in my view) that makes ANY bike look like s*** it is boxes and panners.

The 390 duke is awesome only needs a large wind shield and a rear top box if you plan going on highways and travels. Sharp, lightweight and fast will be the best for city commuter also. I had duke but now got the 390 adventure since I couldn't afford both a street bike and an Enduro.

Sent from my A80Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Please allow me to post my opinion:
If there is ANYTHING (in my view) that makes ANY bike look like s*** it is boxes and panners.
Problem for me is If I couldn't carry things with me I'd have to take the car 🥱 so needs must I'm afraid.

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
There will definitely be the VERY odd occasion such a mobile cabinet could come in handy (not that I ever needed one in over 30 years riding bikes).
I do 1 to 2 months of bike tours on 1 backpack.
I recently needed to pick p my new fork inserts that came in a 1 meter+ box (wouldn't fit any pannier either) and tighten it down on the pillion seat.
Anyway, how many are complaining about any OEM bike esthetics while ploughing around with these cabinets?
For me, if I can't take it with me in my backpack it's not worth taking :LOL:

Problem for me is If I couldn't carry things with me I'd have to take the car 🥱 so needs must I'm afraid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts