KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I clean and lube my chain regularly but I am having problems measuring the chain slack. The 5-7mm measurement KTM gives while pushing the chain towards the swingarm makes it hard to measure accurately due to the hand gymnastics required, and you have to go down and check it.

What tools do you use to accurately measure the 5-7mm gap required?

Can you use the Slacksetter Pro? (SlackSetter Pro™ - Motion Pro)

How often do you measure/adjust the chain slack?

Any tips are greatly welcome. This is my first bike so I want to take care of it as much as I can. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
I have no problem measuring the chain play, to be honest.
I do have to admit I do not measure out 5 - 7 mm but do this by feel, I reckon a bit looser is better than too tight.
A thing to bear in mind is the better quality chain you get/buy the less you need to adjust the chain.
I have fitted a new set about 3,000 km ago and no need yet for readjustments.
I also do not clean and lube my chain that often as the quality RK X-ring takes care of the rollers so only occasionally spray the outside of the chain to prevent rusting after I washed the bike and not plan to use her for a while.

·
Registered
402 Posts
theMichaelG6, no I mean 8 or 9 rather than <5 mm
I'm not sure how you measure the chain slack, but the instructions on the swingarm say the gap is between the taut chain and the swingarm. So a larger gap means tighter chain. Smaller gap means looser chain.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
I measure the slack between the bottom part of the chain and the swingarm..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I measure the slack between the bottom part of the chain and the swingarm..
It doesn't matter if you measure from the top of the chain or the bottom of the chain the FACT is that if the distance to the swingarm is too small the chain is LOOSE, If the distance is large it is TOO TIGHT,

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use plastic shims for levelling kitchen units etc. Difficult to get hold of singly (!) But if you know a chippy or fitter I'm sure they could sort you out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts