KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky to have my brand new Duke390 in my garage with my previous bike, Yamaha MT03, for a short time before the MT03 was collected by its new owner. Prior to purchasing the Duke I had researched your tire discussions particularly rear tire sizes. I was quite surprised when I compared the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's (150/60/R17) supplied on my Duke with the Michelin Pilot Street 2's (140/70/R17) on the Yamaha. The Michelin PS 2 are clearly the larger tire. The sidewall and overall profile height is larger and rounder which would be expected and as per Diploman's analysis is probably why the RC racing guys like them. What I found intriguing was that, (although I couldn't get my verniers onto the tire to get an accurate measure), at the widest point the 140/70 was definitely 3 - 4mm wider than the 150/60. The widest point is where the sidewall intersects the tire radius. The 150/60 has a much lower overall profile and appears?? to have more contact area in the upright mode whereas the 140/70 appears to have less in the upright mode and more in the leaned (cornering) mode. The wheel rim profiles where both 4" I can't see any indication that the 150/60 is more pinched than the 140/70 - the tire size and profile is very different

Not sure if these profiles are specific to each manufacture or typical for all tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 ktm duke 390
46 Posts
went with the bridgestone battlax racingstreet rs10... looks narrower than the oem size.. but the performance gains are worth it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gotta ask...how was the MT03 compared to the Duke? i was thinking of getting one when I got the Duke...

Never mind, just saw the original post was from 2017...

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
went with the bridgestone battlax racingstreet rs10... looks narrower than the oem size.. but the performance gains are worth it
In what size?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts