KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2015 Duke 390 with about 4000 miles on it. The front tire looks to be the original Rosso II and the rear is a Shinko Podium. Both tires need replacing. From what I've read, I should replace the rear with a 140/70/17. Should I keep the front size in a 110/70/17?

I bought the bike for my wife, as an upgrade to the Honda 230l that was her first bike. She rides mildy aggressive, but I will likely put some pretty aggressive miles on the bike as well. We ride a lot of twisty back roads in the foothills of Northern California. The bike will only see about 1000 miles per year, so longevity is not a big concern.

I like the Angel Gts on my FZ1 sport touring bike, but don't think they are appropriate on the light weight 390. I've read about the following tires:
Angel GT
Diablo Rosso Corsa II
Michelin Power RS
Bridgestone Battleax
Michelin Pilot Street.

Any input on these? The pilot streets seem to be a good tire designed specifically for light bikes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The battlax are the best if you are into sport riding, great grip and performance but they are not designed to last for more than 5000 - 10000 km. Same as the Diablo Rosso 2s. these 2 should suit your purpose well.

I believe the Angel GT has been superseded by Angel GT 2 but not sure if they are available in the sizes that match our bike. They are touring tires.

Michelin Power RS are track tires in a sense...so great grip, but probably poor in the rain and in terms of mileage.

The Michelin Pilot Streets are the most all-rounder tires for the bike.

But whatever tires you choose, go for 110 front and 140 rear. The bike's turn in and nimbleness will be improved dramatically.

·
Registered
2015 Duke 390, PowerTRONIC Piggyback, and my monkey mechanic skills ^^
4 Posts
Hi,
First off great choice, I've owned a 2015 Duke for over 3 years myself and man, she's gonna have a lot of fun! ^^

For the tires, i ran the stock (i believe) Diablos II, then IIIs, then Metzelers M5 and M7RRs and finally switched to the Michelin Pilot Streets because all the expensive ones were a) too expensive and b) not lasting nearly long enough for my taste.

I'd always go for the Pilot Streets. I haven't noticed ANY change in pure grip riding normally to fairly aggressively and the handling overall is pretty great, they also do really well in cold and wet weather (whatever good that does you in california)
They might feel a bit stiffer and less responsive than premium, really soft tires at first but i haven't felt like they limited me since using them, and here in Switzerland they are like 50% cheaper... and they've lasted me longer so far than the Pirellis and M7s for sure, the M5s i'm not sure how long they really would have lasted because i punctured them both prematurely (don't ask :p).

I'm about 70kgs and with such a light bike, i feel like there's just no point getting expensive rubber at the speeds we're doing. It'll always stick...
That being said if you're both into track days or absolutely wanna be the fastest up the mountain and have money to spare well... The expensive ones do have a bit better feedback which would help a proficient rider gain a couple tenths.

Do with that what you want, since on a 390 the most fun you can have is to just rocketship past (or surprise the **** out of) your friends with heavy big boy bikes in every turn, it might just be worth it?

Cheer and ride safe!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi there fella,
that is the question i was googling for almost 1 year.So here is my turn :)
There is the touring tyre and there is the sport tyre.if you wanna go agressive or dont wanna ride in rain better go with sport tyres.
Here are the results according to many tests and reviews.Pick a tyre that suits your budget mate...
1) bridgestone s22
2)metzeler m7 or m9 rr
3) diablo rosso 2 or pirelli pilot power 2ct
for the info diablo rosso has short lifespan...
i will go with s22 or metzeler m7 / m9 in summer 2022 :) drive safe!
by the way rear size is 150/60/17 ... if i were you i would stick with that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input!! I went with the Battleaxe rs10 front and rear, with the 140/70 rear. I hope to have them mounted this week.

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
atinc,

You might want to read up on tyre sizes and why the 140 is the best fit for our rims.
This has been discussed and reasoned very extensive on the forum.

Hi there fella,
that is the question i was googling for almost 1 year.So here is my turn :)
There is the touring tyre and there is the sport tyre.if you wanna go agressive or dont wanna ride in rain better go with sport tyres.
Here are the results according to many tests and reviews.Pick a tyre that suits your budget mate...
1) bridgestone s22
2)metzeler m7 or m9 rr
3) diablo rosso 2 or pirelli pilot power 2ct
for the info diablo rosso has short lifespan...
i will go with s22 or metzeler m7 / m9 in summer 2022 :) drive safe!
by the way rear size is 150/60/17 ... if i were you i would stick with that

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been running Michelin Power Cup Evo's( street legal race tire) always w/ tire warmers. I only ride on one mountain road where I live on for about 30 min( 20 mi). At first when hot they feels like the wheels are pulling up masking tape- you can feel the stick but the feelin tapers off as they cool down. Have about 500 mi on set ( 25 heat cycles). Will prob replace around 600-700 miles with same. They are made specifically for lighter class of bikes. Thought about the Pirelli Supercorsa SP, does anyone have any experience with those? I will also be switching to the proper size 140 rear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up a 2015 Duke 390 with about 4000 miles on it. The front tire looks to be the original Rosso II and the rear is a Shinko Podium. Both tires need replacing. From what I've read, I should replace the rear with a 140/70/17. Should I keep the front size in a 110/70/17?

I bought the bike for my wife, as an upgrade to the Honda 230l that was her first bike. She rides mildy aggressive, but I will likely put some pretty aggressive miles on the bike as well. We ride a lot of twisty back roads in the foothills of Northern California. The bike will only see about 1000 miles per year, so longevity is not a big concern.

I like the Angel Gts on my FZ1 sport touring bike, but don't think they are appropriate on the light weight 390. I've read about the following tires:
Angel GT
Diablo Rosso Corsa II
Michelin Power RS
Bridgestone Battleax
Michelin Pilot Street.

Any input on these? The pilot streets seem to be a good tire designed specifically for light bikes.

Thanks!
fsdfasdf

Angel GT
Diablo Rosso Corsa II
Michelin Power RS
Bridgestone Battleax
Michelin Pilot Street.

Thanks!
I have a 2019 and it came with Metzlers Sportecs, I didn't mind them but a nail put an end to my rear tire at less than 2000km use so I had to replace it. I went with the Michelin Road 5 as it received a lot of positive reviews about longevity and wet performance. It's a dual compound tire made for sport touring - exactly what my primary use is. I just replaced the front factory Metzeler with a road 5 yesterday and on first ride I'm happy with what I've experienced so far.

TL;DR - Michelin Road 5 has hard rubber in the center for longer wear during touring - advanced sipes for wet weather traction (haven't tested this yet as it's dry here) and softer stickier rubber on the outer edges when you want to get your lean on. I haven't scratched the chicken strips on them but they do feel more stable in lean than the mezlers do. They 5's are pricey but I'm happy with mine so far. I'd rather have 1 good set of tires than 2 sets of mediocre ones :) . Hope this helps!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've always used Michelin's, they feel more stable when leaned over and the front "bites" when warmed up more than anything that came on the bike. Had a set of Pilot Powers, Pilot Race and 2CTs on the old 625 SMC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts