KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

Could someone give me a feedback riding Bangkok or cities alike?

• The Bike and yourself will get way too hot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You won't be able to use the power

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, just got bitten by the duke virus and am thinking not wanting to heal and get a bike!!

I'll ride in Bangkok mostly and my heart is still not set whereas a duke 200 (don't laugh, traffic here is just non-sense, so I'm afraid that I won't be able to turn the throttle on a 390 anyway) would do the job. I guess Ede, sorry to address you directly but you probably will have the feedback I'm looking for, can tell me how life is with a 390 beast in BKK. My main worry is heating the bike and myself haha. Can't get to work as a sweaty mess! Or with grilled legs while going to a quick shopping next block wearing shorts. I guess on the main city roads, out of rush hour is when you can enjoy better your kit, but should you end up in a 17h30-19h riding through center BKK to get on the outskirts, how do you (bike and yourself) end up home?

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
Welcome, JayDuke,
Using any bike in BKK rush hour is a pain.
I only have been riding my 200 Duke in BKK for a month or 3 and coming from Phuket I then decided I would never use a motorcycle, any motorcycle/scooter to commute the BKK roads.
If you MUST, the Duke 200 is as good/bad as any bike.
I am a big fan of the MRT and BTS sometimes even motocy taxi's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, JayDuke,
Using any bike in BKK rush hour is a pain.
I only have been riding my 200 Duke in BKK for a month or 3 and coming from Phuket I then decided I would never use a motorcycle, any motorcycle/scooter to commute the BKK roads.
If you MUST, the Duke 200 is as good/bad as any bike.
I am a big fan of the MRT and BTS sometimes even motocy taxi's

I avoid public transport in general since covid started, and daily i have to run approx 60km (till in a dream world i move to Phuket!!). Now i can avoid rush hour most of the time but i would like to gather info from ppl who experienced issues with the bike in this condition should i get stuck; since a lot of negative comments have been made about it.... just wanted to know if 2019+ model of 390 have been improved on that aspect.

I truly understand your statement and the little angel on my left shoulder is telling me "the 200 is more than enough for your needs!!" and the little devil and the right one is screaming "get a man's bike, you know you'll love it!!!"....

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
I hope Ede will pop in his experience as he rides a second-Gen Duke.
On my 2012 Duke 200 in the 3 months I have been riding through BKK I had absolutely no problems with the generated heat from the bike (and neither did the bike).
My issue was much more the traffic and riding style(s) of the fellow road users.
The 200 is now in the Lao PDR and if I encounter one traffic light in 4 days of riding I get angry ha ha ha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope Ede will pop in his experience as he rides a second-Gen Duke.
On my 2012 Duke 200 in the 3 months I have been riding through BKK I had absolutely no problems with the generated heat from the bike (and neither did the bike).
My issue was much more the traffic and riding style(s) of the fellow road users.
The 200 is now in the Lao PDR and if I encounter one traffic light in 4 days of riding I get angry ha ha ha.

Lucky You!! It's true that some delivery guys are just fearless... also taxis.... buses.... pretty much everyone HaHa!
While in BKK, the 200 had enough kick to get you ahead of traffic or overtake cars/scooter?

·
Registered
790 Posts
lf you are only riding in the city, then the 200 (or even the 125) will be fine.
However
lf you plan to ever ride outside the city, the 390 will be the one to have, if you had the choice.
You can always ride the 390 in the city and use less throttle.
l don't think the 390 runs any hotter than the 200.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lf you are only riding in the city, then the 200 (or even the 125) will be fine.
However
lf you plan to ever ride outside the city, the 390 will be the one to have, if you had the choice.
You can always ride the 390 in the city and use less throttle.
l don't think the 390 runs any hotter than the 200.
Cheers for the comment! Do you think the 200 has enough punch to get you out of trouble at let say 80-100kmph (50-65mph)?

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
My 200 has definitely enough punch for me.
As the 200 and the 390 occupy the same cooling system (which is sufficient when in good order) I think the 390 will actually run hotter.
If you are patient enough, I would take out the thermostat and slowly ride her until the operating temperature is reached.
BKK never gets cold enough to need the thermostat and will probably take only 15 minutes to get to operating temp.
The 200 offers more power than most other brands over 300cc.
I ride longer distances now in Laos, days of 350 to 450 km and cruising at 85 - 90 km/h is absolutely no issue.
Not sure I would want to do 80 - 100 km/h in urban BKK though.
My 200 is almost standard except for an open air-box lid and DNA filter plus (a big plus) a Dimsport Rapid Bike EVO.
In other words, if you want/need to ride a bike in BKK, commuting, the 200 Duke will be a great bike to do so.
Even riding to Hua Hin for a long weekend or Kanchanaburi would be pretty okay.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Will you be doing 50-60 mph in the city?
Or riding outside the city?

lf you are regularly doing those kind of speeds then obviously the 390 is going to be better as it has around 40% more power than the 200.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, to get into the city and around i will have some portion of roads where i can do 80-100 kmh easily, so I'd love to have enough power not to feel restricted on those and to feel safe. Now once in the city, it's another story... i would say 30 to 80 kmh average with traffic lights here and there, and some episodes of stuck-in-traffic battling between idle cars to slowly progress by a good 35 degrees celsius.

It's the last situation that is a concern for me with the 390.... will it suffer? I believe it's not designed to be used in such condition.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The 390 will be fine, particularly if you get the post 2018 version.

lt's a street bike and perfectly at home in the city.

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
As the speed limit for motorcycles in Thailand for bikes up to 35KW (47HP) is 80km/h you won't have that problem being it a 200 or a 390.

Well, to get into the city and around i will have some portion of roads where i can do 80-100 kmh easily, so I'd love to have enough power not to feel restricted on those and to feel safe. Now once in the city, it's another story... i would say 30 to 80 kmh average with traffic lights here and there, and some episodes of stuck-in-traffic battling between idle cars to slowly progress by a good 35 degrees celsius.

It's the last situation that is a concern for me with the 390.... will it suffer? I believe it's not designed to be used in such condition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts