KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 390 from the look all the way through I’m 5’5” and not over strong so the weight is perfect, the powers not bay but I would like a little more especially overtaking, most of the times it ok but when your up at around 55-60 and want to just blip past something on a country road you find you get h Alf way past it and run out of revs and need to change up which is a pain.
There are some cheap band new 2019 790s around now at £6999, I am very tempted but they are a bigger bike and a bit more weight.
has anyone gone to a 790 and come back to a 390 or spent a long time on a 790?
Many years ago when I had bikes I went through all the big supper bikes and went for a CBR900 fire blade it was to big and a mistake when I sold it I bought a 400 RR Baby Blade and loved i kept it for 3 years one of the best bikes I ever had
My bike is just 2 years old so just out of warranty now and still mint, if I keep it is there any way of gaining a bit more power? Is it worth it?

I don’t want to make a mistake
Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm in exactly the same situation, tempted by the knock down price of the '19 790's. I would have bought one by now, but I'm wondering how much of a riding season we are going to get, and if it might be better to wait until later in the year to see if KTM do another 'we'll pay the 20% VAT' offer and get a new one then. I don't think a few more months and miles on the 390 are going to depreciate it that much further (mines a '16). What makes it hard to decide is that I actually love my 390.
I've test ridden the 790 about a year ago - they absolutely fly! It didn't feel particularly big or heavy. To me it felt more like sitting on a sports bike than the 390. My biggest concern is temptation and my licence ?
I've not done anything to try and make my 390 more powerful. It's output is already pretty respectable for the engine size and personally I don't think the gains available are so big that I want to start spending money on the mods. I suspect the way to get the best from the bike would be to make it lighter. Most off road bikes are weighing in at 100 to 110kg if you believe the manufacturers claims. I'd prefer a duke that was 30 or 40kg lighter vs. adding a few HP :) But shedding all that weight would mean some big expense such as carbon wheels, and some irreversible mods with an angle grinder :eek:
Then there's the possibility of a 490 on the horizon :unsure:
Perhaps the best advice is the proverb "if in doubt do nowt".
Not sure if that helps!?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I have thought about the 490 but it looks like that’s going to be next year. I love the looks of the 2020 790. If I did go down the 2019 route I would get the wheels powder coated orange and the tank black.
like you I love my 390, 80% of the time there is enough power it’s just every now and then. I think the 390 still looks the more funky bike and with my size and weight it’s a perfect match.
Then of course there’s the hidden cost of more tax and fuel not to mention insurance, as I’m new back to biking I lost all my no claims I had gained. I insured the 390 for £180 the 790 is £600. I know really the money doesn’t come into it and I can afford it but I hate wasting it especially being as I’m not sure.
Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
how often would you need the extra power ?, I know lots of people buy a bike because of bigger hp figures or because they corner better etc, but if those reasons are for only a small percent of your riding time then ask yourself is it worth it, it's better to have something that suits your riding for the bigger percentage of your riding time, some people have bought cars and/or bikes because the magazine articles say they are fantastic at going around a track, but the reality is often that they can be unpleasant on real roads,
I have had a lot of big bikes and small bikes but most of my memorable fun rides have been on the smaller bikes, probably because of the challenge they present :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my 390 from the look all the way through I’m 5’5” and not over strong so the weight is perfect, the powers not bay but I would like a little more especially overtaking, most of the times it ok but when your up at around 55-60 and want to just blip past something on a country road you find you get h Alf way past it and run out of revs and need to change up which is a pain.
There are some cheap band new 2019 790s around now at £6999, I am very tempted but they are a bigger bike and a bit more weight.
has anyone gone to a 790 and come back to a 390 or spent a long time on a 790?
Many years ago when I had bikes I went through all the big supper bikes and went for a CBR900 fire blade it was to big and a mistake when I sold it I bought a 400 RR Baby Blade and loved i kept it for 3 years one of the best bikes I ever had
My bike is just 2 years old so just out of warranty now and still mint, if I keep it is there any way of gaining a bit more power? Is it worth it?

I don’t want to make a mistake
Thanks
I made the jump from the 390 to the 790 and I have no regrets!
I started riding summer of 2020, bought the 390 Duke and it is an amazing first bike. Every post I saw said to stay away from the bigger bikes and focus on learning how to drive before having access to extra power offered by the bigger cc engines. But I found that after a year of driving the 390 I was burning oil at a rate of 100 ml every 1000 km. When I asked my mechanic he said that was because the bike rev'ed in the 8,000+ rpm (which is where its at when you drive 100+ km/h) and that the oil was boiling up and vaporizing. I also got to the point where I wasn't afraid of the bike anymore, pushing it close to its limits was more common than I thought it should be.
So I bought the 790 Duke a month ago and wow what a difference. The bike goes 100km/h in fourth gear at 5,000 rpm vs 7,000 in sixth on the 390. Bigger tires make a world of difference with the handling and cornering, the front discs are smaller than on the 390 (300mm instead of 320mm) but the fact that there are two discs versus one on the front wheel does make a big difference for the weight difference between both bikes.
All this said, the 790 has crazy amounts of power if you move up from the 390. You will hit 170 km/h in fourth if you give it (and you'll be holding on for dear life to the bike). The quickshifter and auto bleeper are game changers. I think just those two features make the upgrade worthwhile. And you also get access to Street & Rain mode, and the more responsive Sport and Track modes, while the 390 only offers the Street mode with back ABS on (Street) or off (Supermoto).
I considered the 890, but the price difference between the 790 and the 890 is not worth the 10 horsepower. You can get a Booster Plug and a good air filter to match the performance of the stock 890.
People will talk about suspension and brake as the major difference, but if you are not riding track, the 790 will meet and exceed your needs.
Just watch out for the cops, the bike can get away from you if you don't tame your right wrist :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts