KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been a loyal Royal Enfield rider for more than 10 years now, The bike is all metal hence heavy, stable, slow and is great on the highways.

How good is the 390 for lets say loading a pillion and 50 kgs of luggage and traveling across the country? I'm getting great reviews of the bike for in city riding and short sprints, but no one is giving me any info about the touring capabilities of this motorcycle?

help wanted!

·
Registered
533 Posts
you may a bit of trouble with the smallish tank size, the only other issue I could see you running into is the ergos over a long distance, however that is completely subjective...

·
Registered
817 Posts
If someone asked me choose between the RE or Duke Id probably take the RE for touring. Small tank, rough suspension and a pillion plus 50kg would be very unpleaseant after the 100km mark on the Duke for both people.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I feel like the Adventure version of the 390 would be better for a longer journey. You can make it work with the 390 Duke but its obviously not meant for that. Try to make the seat more comfortable, and make sure you pack light. That's my best advice.

·
Registered
533 Posts
now as negative as we all sound, its not impossible. If you were to take the appropriate measures and make the needed modifications to your duke it could be great. I mean some higher rise bars that come more towards you would be a good start, a comfort seat perhaps gel would do alot as well. As for the fuel tank I don't how much there is to do besides carry a jerry with you...

best of luck man!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
customizations

Unfortunately, the KTM 390 is the best bang for buck i can get in India right now, the street 750 is more than double of its cost, and personally im a little tired of the unreliability of the enfields.

the only attractive factor in the KTM for me is the superb performance, I loathe the way it looks (its personal, im a traditional motorcyclist who rides thumpers)

what i'm thinkingabout is taking all the plastic out i.e the tank and the little fairing under the seat and the seat aswell, and get go to a fabricator to get a bigger tank made. and a much more plush seat.

What im thinking a more triumph bonneville-esque tank and looks, would that be doable on this Y shaped frame?

any opinions?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I tour quite a lot on the RE and when I rode the Katoom for the first time on a long ride, I did feel awkward. Windblast, the seating posture, hard seats, almost scarily low weight of the bike etc. But each of these can be gotten used to over a period of time, only if one is willing to undergo the change.
I had some ache in the knee joints for the first week of owning the bike but never got it after that. Surprisingfly, the lower back ache that was common to me with teh rides on RE, never showed up on the Katoom.
Luggage is easy with saddle bags and as far as a pillion is concerned, better off riding solo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts