KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello group!

Searched a bit here and found this thread that states the TPS is NOT adjustable on our bikes?

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum/how-diy/7545-tps-mod.html

Can anybody confirm with confidence or should I try it for myself? The reason is I was thinking of using this connector in order to try to adjust the TPS:

KTM TPS Throttle Position Sensor Adjustment Tool

My objective is to help with the closed loop hesitation when cruising at slow constant throttle.

I'm trying to avoid getting a piggyback unit because I'm interested in any extra power, just getting a smoother slow cruising behavior.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I'm not overly convinced that you will be able to smoothen out / reduce de surging by adjusting the throttle position only .

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:-(

Still crossing my fingers... because for the price, if it helps only 50%, I would be happy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Like you Luc I thought that the TPS Tool would avoid me to buy a piggyback, but then I found the very same thread so I ordered the Powertronics... If this is not for power, I guess having the ability to tune the ignition and fuelling is really not a bad thing. Especially with the intake mods I plan on doing.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Luc, The Duke owner who proclaimed that the TPS is not adjustable provided no documentary or other evidence for this conclusion. This, IMO, makes it rather shaky.

The TPS adjustment tool maker/vendor provided a video that shows actual KTM bikes with TPS that appear identical to those on our bikes. That TPS is undoubtedly adjustable using this tool. Typically, bike manufacturers like to share parts among different models, as commonality reduces costs. It does not seem logical that KTM would fit a different type of TPS to the 390 with no good reason. My guess is that the TPS on our bikes is adjustable in the same manner shown in that videos. The 390 does have one of the three types of electrical connectors shown on the site.

Your recent - superb - valve check/shim tutorial demonstrates your selfless pioneering spirit. If you were to acquire a TPS adjustment tool (with the right type of connector) and test it, that would be a service to all Duke owners, including yourself. No one can guarantee that it will work, but if it does that would be a very useful tool to have on hand.

You might want to correspond with the vendor about this prior to purchase. I'm sure he could give you some pertinent information.

Reactions: Meggsy

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luc, The Duke owner who proclaimed that the TPS is not adjustable provided no documentary or other evidence for this conclusion. This, IMO, makes it rather shaky.

The TPS adjustment tool maker/vendor provided a video that shows actual KTM bikes with TPS that appear identical to those on our bikes. That TPS is undoubtedly adjustable using this tool. Typically, bike manufacturers like to share parts among different models, as commonality reduces costs. It does not seem logical that KTM would fit a different type of TPS to the 390 with no good reason. My guess is that the TPS on our bikes is adjustable in the same manner shown in that videos. The 390 does have one of the three types of electrical connectors shown on the site.

Your recent - superb - valve check/shim tutorial demonstrates your selfless pioneering spirit. If you were to acquire a TPS adjustment tool (with the right type of connector) and test it, that would be a service to all Duke owners, including yourself. No one can guarantee that it will work, but if it does that would be a very useful tool to have on hand.

You might want to correspond with the vendor about this prior to purchase. I'm sure he could give you some pertinent information.
Exactly what I thought!

Like your idea of contacting the vendor. If I guet into this, I will surely do a write up about it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Luc, From the FAQ section of the TPS Adjuster Tool website: To contact Matt directly, send an email to [email protected]

You might want to send another copy of your message there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The verdict is in!

This TPS insn't adjustable, well, the way it is mounted, prevents it from being adjustable...

So......... Considering that I'm looking for any extra power and no other performance parts (at the moment I'm fully stock), would it be worth it to install a piggyback to only correct the jitterness/surging?

And if so, which one would be more recommendable for this application?

Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you're interested, I have a Powertronic coming this week, I can fit it to my bike and drop by so you can compare the two (yours and mine).

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good!

If I can get her to start... She's been stubborn as a mule the past 2 times I tried to start her... Even got the battery to go down... Charging at the moment. I was able to start after the valve check so that is out of the picture...

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
The verdict is in!

This TPS insn't adjustable, well, the way it is mounted, prevents it from being adjustable...

So......... Considering that I'm looking for any extra power and no other performance parts (at the moment I'm fully stock), would it be worth it to install a piggyback to only correct the jitterness/surging?

And if so, which one would be more recommendable for this application?

Thanks!
It seems to be the general consensus that installing a piggy back ECU is what gets rid of most of the juttering / surging .
There are quite a few manufacturers that offer such ECU,s . They all seem to do more or less the same in their basic setup : Some offer more adjustability which is great if you want to take the bike on the track . Others offer the quick shift options , maps switch on the go , etc..
If I were you I'd get one from a local / national distributor which should give you easier access to after sales and warranty related issues would you need them . Price wise there is very little between them .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone!

This is a video showing TPS adjustment in a KTM bike (not the 390)...

The only apparent difference is holes in the fixing mount to allow adjustmen. Maybe enlarging slightly sidewards the original Duke 390 TPS fixing holes with a Dremel or a drill (carefully) should provide more than enough room to do the adjustment. Minimum differences in TPS position make big changes on TPS tool readings. But 390's TPS fixing holes are reinforced with metal: KTM doesn't want us to play with this. May be due to do drive by wire requirements, may be due to Euro4...

Also there's always the option of swap a higher rated fuel pressure regulator on the pump assembly. Let's say substituting the stock 2017 3.0 BAR FPR by other 3.2 or 3.5 BAR rated. This will provide better fuel atomisation, and solve surging problems. Also will slightly enrich the open loop side (+-7500rpm and up) to make power with decat pipe, airbox lid and so on...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts