KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scoured the interwebs and this forum but found nothing on this weird one. 2019 Duke 390 with 1500km. Last weekend, sitting on bike, clutch pulled, turned key to ‘on’ position and the things started! Thought I was imagining things and tried to repeat it but couldn’t.

Went for a rip tonight. Upon return home, the bike will consistently start when the clutch is pulled or the transmission in N and key is turned to ‘on’ position. That’s without touching the starter button. Even scarier is that engine will quit when the bike is in gear and side stand is put down and then start by itself when the side stand is put back up.

I am guessing a starter switch short or something. Would be covered by warranty no doubt but closest service is in a another province and would be a royal pain to get it there.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow that’s weird, can you hear the starter motor turning after engine running? I would definitely open up the switch and test the contact with the key in off position. It’s supposed to respond as a NO contact when pressing the button - should be an easy DIY fix and you can get some contact cleaner. The contant ktm dealers In mtl region don’t have much in Stock besides oil and filters, they don’t even have the o-rings for the oil screens (like no one needs them?) I grabbed some similar size orings from work instead of waiting a week

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starter motor doesn’t run because it’s a one-touch start. Push once and it will crank starter until engine starts and then cuts off the switch. That way you can‘to grind the starter like you used to do on grandpa’s old Dodge. Upon further investigation, I discovered that the starter button was not fully returning to the out position, it was not noticeable but in just enough to maintain contact. I hit it with a little WD-40 and seems to have sorted it. May have to tear it apart if it happens again.

No parts available at all here but did get some oil change kits on Amazon for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Must have updated that on gen2 bikes, my 2015 will turn the starter anytime you touch the switch (I used to mix it up with horn button and would hear it grind oops!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts