KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

Upgraded lower suspension...

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Trxtr 
#1 ·
So, I've had the little Duke for a while now, and I am struggling with the height a bit (getting too old and inflexible to throw my leg over that high! Lol) and I wouldn't mind something a bit more compliant while I'm at it...
So, I have been looking at the Yamaha shock upgrade, but have just found out that actually does nothing for the height... at least not in the right direction for me!
Has anyone tried using a shorter shock from another bike and how would I figure out how much lower it's likely to be?
Am considering a Triumph Street Triple shock, total length is 10mm shorter, but all the other measurements seem to match pretty well, and I can get one for under $25 to test the theory...
Are there any others that may fit the bill to be considered?
Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get an adjustable side stand that won't cost me the earth? Shipping to Australia sucks! Lol...
Cheers!

#4 ·
I know that the geometry of the rear swingarm is pretty important in how the bike handles in turns and acceleration/braking. The extension of rear suspension on acceleration (which slightly shortens the wheelbase) plays a big role in how the bike handles exiting curves.

So if you install it, and all dimensions fit other than height, and nothing concerning appears on exits from twisties, you should be good?

#5 ·
Considering there are a number of lowering kits that are only installed on the rear (in fact its only the genuine KTM kit I've found that does both front and rear) it's not really something I'm massively concerned about... But thanks for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.