KTM Duke 390 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really, just looking much better and won't rust as the OEM does being on Phuket and seaside Krabi a bit.
I first thought of getting SS bolts but titanium is more flexible.
To gain a 200-gram reduction in weight I just skip a beer or two.

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know yet moazman, I'll see if I can way the difference when I go change them out in about 3 months and post it here.
Flying to Bangkok next week then on to Laos and end of November over to where my 390 is parked, Phuket, Thailand.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The best and easiest way to lose weight from the bike, if that was what you wanted, is to fit a lithium battery

3kg weight reduction for around £50/$60

You are so lucky living in such a beautiful part of the world!
Where it doesn’t rain all summer. In fact we had so much rain this month that the local dam was damaged and almost failed.

The town had to be evacuated

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Twenty two 12” industrial pumps were brought in to empty out the 1.3 million tons of water.
They were pumping 7,000 litres per minute out and after four days it was declared safe.

A Royal Navy heavy lift Chinook helicopter was brought in and dropped 550 tons of stone on to the damaged part of the dam wall to try and stabilise it.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
The best and easiest way to lose weight from the bike, if that was what you wanted, is to fit a lithium battery

3kg weight reduction for around £50/$60

You are so lucky living in such a beautiful part of the world!
Where it doesn’t rain all summer. In fact we had so much rain this month that the local dam was damaged and almost failed.

The town had to be evacuated
There is a lot of rain in Phuket and the rest of Thailand. But mostly it's a LOT of rain in short showers. And that rain is 30 degrees warm.

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW Ede, I think a 200-gram weight reduction probably is gained by the rear Stealth sprocket alone already ;)

What do you expect from the bolts? That your bike is 200g lighter?

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Needed to change the chain, saw this Super Sprox Stealth Czech product and figured I liked this better than the OEM steel or the PowerParts aluminium one.
It has a lifetime warranty and the outer ring can be changed out.
I wanted to go down from 45T to 42T and with the lower weight, my Ohlins rear chock has a little less work.
Obviously, I also think it looks better and the Thai import is unwilling to supply our bikes with these.
In combination with the MotoMaster Flame rear rotor, I think my Duke will stand out a little as a PowerTRONIC, Andreani's and a Li-Ion battery don't show.

·
Registered
818 Posts
So you’ve raised the hearing by going down three teeth on the rear sprocket
Someone else has done this and says the bike is much better, smoother and more useable at low speeds.

Is this the case with yours?

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been experimenting with rear and front sprockets on my Duke 200 in 2014 and 2015 to end up at the original set-up of 14T - 42T as this works best for me and where I ride.
My reasoning for going down on the rear sprocket on my 390 in Thailand is that I use this bike for touring (without panners).
Touring up from Phuket to Chiang Rai, into Laos and back to Phuket I like my Duke to run slightly lower rpm's at the speeds I ride which hardly ever exceed 150km/h. (only boring highway stretches I need to take).
As I mentioned before on here somewhere, I have been brought up riding high temperament Italian cars so riding my Dukes never ever have presented any issues at lower speeds other than being warm riding cities such as Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.
My 200 and 390 have been very useable at any speed and the going down to 42T is solely to reduce the rpm's.
I have posted the gear-calculation on here as well as on one of my KTM pages around March this year (https://www.facebook.com/KTMLaos/).
Also, my PowerTRONIC (on both bikes) have improved hanging in a too low hear too long a bit as people tell me that borrow my 200 sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure:
clutch cover:
12x M6x35
water pump:
5x M6x20
oil filter cover:
2x M5x16
stator cover: