KTM Duke 390 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Never thought about emissions.....good call. Very frustrating that it such a confusing thing...is it that hard to set valves in a brand new motor the same every time.(if that's the problem) or even just leave it a standard to do at the first maintenance schedule....then you know your good. I guess worse case scenario is I get to big bore it when it burns lol

·
Registered
643 Posts
Why is it sad

There’s a conflict of advice from some dealers and these things always result in an ongoing discussion

Just part of these forums really

·
Registered
643 Posts
I guess.

The discussion could go on for ever, a bit like “when do l change my cam belt” threads on car forums.

It seems that some dealers think it needs to be done, and some don’t.

My advice would be if you are worried then either check it yourself or get a mechanic to do it for you.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The cam belt thread on the Ferrari forum went to twenty pages.
Ferrari said it had to be changed every two years.
But l only did 450 miles said some owners. The belt change cost in some cases £2,000 ($3,000) or more.
There were many thoughts, there was the guy who had not changed his since 1997 and the car was running just fine.
And the guy who had one snap at 4 1/2 years and cost him £15,000 ($25,000) to repair.
Ferrari eventually extended the interval to three years
And the thread quietly died.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Aaaak! Cam belts....I have a goldwing....if you blow a belt your valves hit piston....that's a fun topic on the goldwing forums too.

I was just worried that if the dealer didnt do it when they were supposed to than my warranty would be bad. I plan on checking the valves anyway....I dont know them well enough to trust them....

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you have the dealer stamp in your service book and they didn’t do the valve check, and then you get a failure, it’s down to them to sort it.
That’s the whole point of dealer servicing.

However for peace of mind I will check mine when l get a chance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Lightning, I'd agree with you with a caveat - if you're not doing a lot of kilometers yearly, you might run out of your warranty before you hit enough mileage to experience the effects of a tight valve.

The regularly scheduled valve check (at which time the dealer will notice burnt-out valves and will have to do something about them) is at 15 000 kms and the warranty is for 2 years. Many people ride less than 7500 km a year.
Also, even then the dealer might claim the failure is not covered by warranty since a valve is a consumable. They might simply charge you for a new one, like if you came in with worn brake pads. They may refuse to acknowledge it's probably been caused by a valve that was tight from factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just brought my motorcycle back after the run-in 1st service. I'm from Malta in Europe, and we have just the one KTM agent (who is also the Husq agent and the Harley Davidson agent of the islands). I was a little anxious when I was to meet the agent's mechanic, worried that if we don't 'click' then I will be stuck with this guy for the next 2 years. Turns out he's a really great guy, very informative and was happy to perform the valve clearance check for me on my request, after having made my research here on this forum. Turns out everything was tight except for one exhaust valve, so he had to make a valve clearance adjustment:

BEFORE
Intake LH: 0.08mm
Intake RH: 0.08mm
Exhaust LH: 0.15mm
Exhaust RH: 0.12mm

AFTER:
Intake LH: 0.10mm
Intake RH: 0.10mm
Exhaust LH: 0.15mm
Exhaust RH: 0.18mm

And the most unbelieavable part? The breakdown of the invoice:
-1st service (Oil, Oil filter, brake cleaner): EUR50.58 inc VAT
-Valve clearance check & adjustment (with new gasket rubber, decoupling element, gasket spark plug shaft, gasket chain adjuster and 3 shims) EUR35.98 inc VAT
-Labour: EUR0.00
Total: EUR73.35 inc VAT

I couldn't believe it, because I've heard valve clearance costing around £300/$300 on this forum. EUR36!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since I am working on getting 600 miles on the bike to complete my breakin (it's fun seeing the tach shift warning light constantly) I checked with the salesman that sold me my 2019 390.

He said first maintenance can be 5 hours with a valve check and tolerance checks- not sure if that's info from previous years or if that's still how they roll (this dealer has lots of KTM fans). The cost was over $500 USD.

I do want to get my first runthrough done by an experienced tech to verify everything wore in and bedded properly - chain tension, clutch cable, etc. and going forward I'll do my own oil.

Guess I will see how it goes when they write the service ticket once I get enough miles on the bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@testify4 i you're not willing to open up your engine and check them yourselves, then I highly recommend doing the valve check (and adjustment if necessary) on first service.
Talked to the dealer today when I was picking up a part. They seem very knowledgeable so while they're going through the bike the first time, it will be done.

Once that's over I can do oil on my own unless some other maintenance pops up on the old dash.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I visited one of my local dealers today.
Valve check is required in the first service of 620 miles/1000 km.
First service cost 450$ USD.
They also printed out the maintenance schedule for me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It’s a lot of money for the first service on a low cost bike like the Duke 390.

Why do cars never need the valves checking?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I believe modern day car engines have hydraulic valve lifters/followers.

Opposite would be mechanical tappets such as those found on an air cooled engine in an early volkswagen, whereas you adjusted with a 13mm wrench, screwdriver and thickness gauge

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just had my first service done and they said they did adjust the valves. Some were out but by how much I do not know. Unfortunately when I unloaded it from my truck and started it up I noticed the Service light was still on. I called the dealer and he said to bring it back in because they must have not reset it. It wont be until this Saturday before I can get it there.

·
Registered
321 Posts
So they were competent enough to remove cam cover, check and adjust the four valves, but not enough to hook up to the KTM dealer computer and turn off the service light???? Shame.

It on the step by step ‘first service’ checklist!!

61 - 80 of 91 Posts